Support » Fixing WordPress » 500 Internal Server Error on Login

• I had a few plugins that needed to be updated, so I selected “Update Automatically” on 2 of them. On the second one (Backup WordPress), when it updated and then attempted to reactivate the plugin, it went to a 500 Internal Server Error and now I can’t log into the site at all.

Live site appears to be fine (workingmomcoupons.com), it just seems to be the login that is broken.

I went in through FTP and removed the plugin completely, but still have the issue.

I contacted iPage (who hosts my domain) and this is “beyond their scope of support”, and they suggest that I contact WordPress. Easier said than done, since WordPress doesn’t really have a “Contact Us” type deal…

…Can anyone offer a suggestion on how I might fix this? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • I can see the login screen and main site.

Using an FTP tool or your host provided file manager, rename the offending plugin folder to old-plugin and try to login. Always review plugin compatibility with your version of WP, your existing plugins, and your theme before using.

Elan – Yes, the main site is fine, as I mentioned above. It’s the admin login that is broken.

SwansonPhotos – I actually deleted the plugin completely. However, I imagine there is a component of the plugin that is located in another directory and I don’t know what/where. You’d think if I deleted the offending plugin folder that the problem would be resolved, but no.

Thanks for the thoughts…

You mentioned compatibility… I’ve actually used this plugin for some time with no issues. I was performing a standard “automatic update”.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘500 Internal Server Error on Login’ is closed to new replies.