• I installed wordpress using fantastico and everything worked fine until I tried to change the permalink setting. I wanted to have a file name that consists of the category name followed by topic name. I must have misinterpreted the syntax and whatever I typed in has caused me to get a 500 Internal Server error when I try to get into the admin or the blog.

The entry in my server error log (in cPanel) is [Fri Mar 18 17:49:37 2005] [alert] [client 67.174.193.147] /home/virtua38/public_html/blog/.htaccess: RewriteRule: bad flag delimiters

I cannot figure out from the comments in this forum which file I need to edit to fix the problem. It sounds like it might be something wrong in the htaccess file, but I have no idea what to change in it . Any ideas anyone? Any help is much appreciated.
    thanks
    Barry

[Moderated: .htaccess contents removed – please paste to a text file and post on your site and link to it.]

Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • citizenofnowhere

(@citizenofnowhere)

if anyone else has this problem, look in your database in wp_options option id number 40 is the permalink structure. check to see if that has updated. mine wasn’t that’s why i got the problem

choosechris

(@choosechris)

HELP! I made the terrible mistake of changing my permalink structure, and now I’m getting the “500 Internal Server Error”. I can’t access anything, including the control panel. I’ve tried everything I could think of, including deleting the .htaccess file, uploading all of my WordPress files again, and I even logged onto my server and used the PHP manager utility to access the wp_options file and tried changing line 40 to something that will work. But I am still getting the “Internal Server Error”. Can anyone help me? Is there anything I can do to get my blog back?

choosechris

(@choosechris)

Please disregard my request for help. I deleted the entire database, deleted all of the files on my server, and started completely from scratch. I lost a half-dozen posts in the process, but I had already started to redirect traffic from my old site and I needed to get it back in working order in a hurry. Fortunately I had the CSS theme I created so it didn’t take me more than 90 minutes to reinstall WordPress, re-upload all of my files, re-configure my settings, and type out a post. This is a TERRIBLE bug in WordPress that needs to be fixed right away. All of my problems started when I tried to change the structure of my permalink. As soon as I clicked the “Save” button, I got the “500 Internal Server Error” page. It took me almost three hours of attempts to fix it before I decided to just delete everything and start over from scratch. I still don’t know how to fix this without deleting everything, but I think that the problem resided in line 40 of the wp_options file in the database that deals with the permalink. However, if that is the problem, I have no idea what would need to be done to fix it. WordPress is too wonderful to have such a fatal flaw as this. Hopefully it will be fixed very soon!

Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘500 Internal Server Error from Permalink change’ is closed to new replies.