• Resolved olivier-wp-forum

(@olivier-wp-forum)

Hi all,

I am getting this error and it looks like my site is down. I read this article http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks but any of the things I read and tried to implement changed anything… I have no idea where to start from…

Anyone outthere who would be kind enough to walk me through what I should do, check and possibly fix…?

Many thanks; all is most appreciated…

Cheers,

O

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Try deleting your .htaccess file.

Thread Starter olivier-wp-forum

(@olivier-wp-forum)

Hi Esmi,

Thanks for this, but no joy…

Last thing I was working on was adding a Twitter app http://twitter.com/goodies/widget_search. It was working, until suddenly the site stopped with that error.

It wasn’t a WP plugin and I do not use Supercache (I was told it’s know for generating that error). I have contacted the host provider, Network Solutions but they take time to reply. I don’t think they’ll find anything because the root URL works http://www.dombey.com. It’s the blog URL that doesn’t work anymore http://www.dombey.com/blog/ and all other sub-directories below that.
    I did not touch the .htaccess file. And cannot attach it to this thread as it is not a valid file; but when I open it using Dreamweaver, here is what I read:

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /blog/
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /blog/index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress

That’s it. It’s chmod 664

🙁

Thanks for your feedback guys – most appreciated.

Cheers,

O

Can you remove the Twitter app?

(@olivier-wp-forum)

Yes I did. That Twitter app was not a WP one, so I simply deleted the code. I have also removed all plugins to see if one of them created the problem. After doing that, only the header of my blog would show, and nothing below it. Went through the painful process to reactivate each of the plugins to see if a particular one is the culprit.

It’s my FeedWorldPress RSS aggregator, as when reactivated, I get the 500 again. I think it’s in relation to way it’s handling Magpie and the caching process. But I am really out of my depth here… So disappointing…

I found the following quote from some one who loks like had the same issue: “The fix for this is relatively simple: delete every option_name in wp_options that begins with ‘rss_'”. But I do not know how to do that. maybe some one can explain, so that I try to implement that fix and see if it solves the issue.

Many thanks,

Cheers,

Olivier

You’ll need to edit entries in the wp_options table of your database using something like PhpMyadmin. Just ensure that you backup the entire database before you change anything.

(@olivier-wp-forum)

OK – I’ll try that Esmi – Thanks for the explanation. have PhpMyadmin plugin installed… Let’s see where that leads to…

Cheers,

O

(@olivier-wp-forum)

Hi all,

Unfortunately after deleting all the ‘rss_’ files via phpMyAdmin, the status of the site was kindda identical: When FeedWorldPress is activated, the site times out and/or returns a 500. When FeedWorldPress is deactivated, the page loading and rendering go as far as the first <?php if (is_syndicated()) : ?> call is made and stops right there, leaving a partially rendered page. When rechecking wp_options, several ‘rss_’ files were already created, so FeedWorldPress was still pulling the feeds, but that didn’t translate into a displayed feed content.

Of course the cache was cleared. I also deleted the plugin and reinstalled it, but to no avail. The site behaviour remains the same (as described above).

Any advice as to what my next step(s) should be? I am a tad desperate now since my site is built around FeedWorldPress to work properly. If I cannot fix this, it would imply either replacing FeedWorldPress with another plugin to perform the same functions (although I haven’t seen one around that performs all those functions), or redesign the site almost in its totality, which of course I would rather avoid…

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Cheers,

Olivier

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘500 internal server error’ is closed to new replies.