• Resolved Tim Derouin

(@tderouindesign)

The plugin has been functioning flawlessly since our site launched back in March. However, as of yesterday the home page that uses the FTS shortcodes consistently creates a 500 Internal Server Error unless the plugin is deactivated.

Any thoughts as to what may be going on? We hope this can be resolved as we are seeing a large discussion across social media due to a company campaign that started just yesterday.

Thank you in advance for any support you can provide.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/feed-them-social/

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)
  • Plugin Author slickremix

(@slickremix)

Our site running makes no difference on the plugins performance other than you can’t get updates because our server is down. And yeah server company says that but then why are your other sites running ok, sounds like the run around.

Spencer

Plugin Author slickremix

(@slickremix)

Alrighty site is back up. Sorry for the downtime.

Spencer

zero web

(@codrutalexoaiagmailcom)

Hi

After trying a lot of options, I’ve discovered that on the FB settings page, selecting NO on Style options / Text after your FB name, solves the problem.

Could there be a problem there…maybe?

zero web

Regarding my previous post:

– the solution works for a minute or two, after a random navigation through the website (3-4 pages), I get the 500 error again.

– If I re-save the fb options, the site will work again for a couple of minutes until we get the same response.

maybe this is a cache issue?

Plugin Author slickremix

(@slickremix)

@zero,

That is strange how resaving the facebook page somehow makes it possible for you to see again, but it’s probably more likely a coincidence and I’m thinking a gap in time where less resources are being used on the server allowing the feed to come up again. Our feeds cache for about 30 minutes then reload… and when it’s trying to reload maybe that is where the hangup happens because the server resources are maxed out.

Can you please also post these 4 things.
    1. The shortcode or shortcodes you are using on the page that is failing.
    2. The report from the System Info page of our plugin.
    3. A link to the page in question.
    4. Who are you hosting with and what kind of hosting package do you have?

Spencer

zero web

1. [fts_facebook id=atelier.ciprian.manda posts_displayed=page_only type=page]

2 & 3. since the website is a live directory, I have deactivated the plugin. Will get back with data when there’s no traffic.

4. Dreamhost, shared server. I’ve been in contact with them, I have created a phprc file with the following configuration:
    ————
    upload_max_filesize = 100M

post_max_size = 105M

max_execution_time = 500

max_input_time = 500

memory_limit = 128M
    ————–

That didn’t help either.

As long as testing and retesting (over 20 times) it works only in this cases:

Re-save the facebook options. I can navigate to 3 posts with one fb page-last 9 fb post each. After that (20-30 seconds total time) I get the 500 error. If I clear the fts cache it also allows me to make it work for 3 posts, then again the 500 error.

But there’s a catch:

I only use one fb page feed per post, but have over 350 posts with 1 page feed each – so maybe the problem comes from this…

So I might have found the upper limit of requests in order for dreamhost to kill my processes.

For the moment the plugin is deactivated and half of my website is hidden (the posts with the feeds). I would really love to find a solution to this problem, so if I could test some more or help in any way, just let me know.

Thank you!

Plugin Author slickremix

(@slickremix)

@zero, you have 350 shortcodes on one page, is that correct? If so I would for sure say that would max out a shared server. Did this work for a length of time before and then all the sudden just stopped working, if so how long did it work before this issue started?

Spencer

zero web

No, 350 posts, each one with only one shortcode.

Plugin Author slickremix

(@slickremix)

@zero,

Ah ok that should be fine then. Someone else just reported a similar issue and guess what, they are on Dreamhost too. Something is going on with Dreamhost for sure. http://www.slickremix.com/support-forum/topic/500-internal-server-error/

Spencer

Thread Starter Tim Derouin

(@tderouindesign)

I am now having the same 500 internal server error appear on other sites as well. Not sure where to got from here but I am going to have to look for an alternate plugin in the interim.

Hopefully this is something that can be resolved. Thanks again for your time Spencer.

(@tderouindesign)

I will say though, the other sites that are affected are all hosted through Dreamhost… not good. I am testing other sites as well and if I find a site hosted elsewhere is also having the problem I will post here immediately.

(@tderouindesign)

Contacted Dreamhost regarding the other site now experiencing the 500 internal server error.

All they would tell me is that it must be the plugin even though I explained to them other sites that we have built and maintain through other hosting providers DO NOT have this error.

It goes without saying that I must find alternative solutions for our social media feeds on these two websites. Perhaps a solution will come up in the near future but the client wants the feeds back up ASAP. If a future release of the plugin comes out where this seemingly Dreamhost-specific glitch is resolved please note it as such in the update details so I can reinstate the plugin!

I appreciate all of your help in walking through this with me Spencer. I have left a very positive review of your plugin and support, even with the free version and plan to keep using Feed Them Social on non-Dreamhost websites.

Feel free to leave this topic open if you would like and I will continue to follow it if that is the case.

Thanks again!

(@tderouindesign)

**DREAMHOST UPDATE**

The other site that used this feed plugin (and we ended up choosing another since we could not resolve the error) apparently had a “minor hiccup” with the mysql server.

I am going to contact Dreamhost support for the original domain this support topic was based on to see if that may be their overall problem.

I will be back to report as soon as I know something.

Plugin Author slickremix

(@slickremix)

Very interesting, look forward to more details. Thanks for being so thorough!

Spencer

Having the same problem on Dreamhost. My PHP error log is line after line of this:
    [24-May-2016 16:29:38 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/sheetar/sheetar.com/wp-content/plugins/feed-them-social/includes/feed-them-functions.php on line 1890

First instance was 21 May 2016 at 11:57 UTC.

Chat support wasn’t incredibly helpful – they told me to contact the plugin creator which is what brought me here. I’m also submitting a ticket to have further investigation done as suggested. So I know something happened on Saturday AM with something on Dreamhost’s side, but I have no idea what.

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)
  • The topic ‘500 Internal Server Error’ is closed to new replies.