WordPress.org

Support

Support » How-To and Troubleshooting » 500 – Internal server error.

500 – Internal server error.

• scspeakman

@scspeakman

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some help. I’ve Googled this problem extensively and tried a number of things but nothing has worked.

I am getting this error when I try to update WordPress or any of the plugins:

500 – Internal server error.
    There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

I get this message when I try to update WordPress to 3.3.1 or try to update any of my plugins. My plugins are also not working (ie. my Akisment is not catching Spam, my Formidable form isn’t available on the website, etc.). I have deleted all of the plugins via FTP to see if one of them was causing it, but WordPress still won’t update to 3.3.1.

Possible problem with the .htaccess file? A memory issue? The website runs fine despite it not being able to update. It’s not a problem apparently with the host — or so they say. Any ideas? Shoot from the hip and please explain like I am a newbie. Because I am. Ha!

Thanks!
    Shawn

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • esmi
    Forum Moderator

@esmi

Have you tried:

– deactivating all plugins to see if this resolves the problem. If this works, re-activate the plugins one by one until you find the problematic plugin(s).

– switching to the Twenty Eleven theme to rule out any theme-specific problems.

resetting the plugins folder by FTP or PhpMyAdmin. Sometimes, an apparently inactive plugin can still cause problems.

– re-uploading the wp-admin and wp-includes folders from a fresh download of WordPress.

scspeakman

@scspeakman

– All plugins are deactivated and it didn’t work.

– I switched to Twenty Eleven and the update won’t work.

– When I try to go back to my theme Arras or Child Arras, I get this message:

“The thumbnails cache directory (C:\HostingSpaces\terrybrooks.net\wwwroot/wp-content/themes/arras/library/cache) is not writable. You will need to set the directory’s permissions 755 or 777 for the thumbnails to work.”

I’ve gone into my website using FTP and that “cache” folder doesn’t even exist. haha I have a feeling this is a permissions type situation but I have no idea how to fix it.

scspeakman

@scspeakman

I also just tried to reinstall the wp-admin and wp-includes folders. While that seems to have updated to 3.3.1, I’m still getting this message:

An automated WordPress update has failed to complete – please attempt the update again now.

When I try to update it, I still get the 500 error. And when I try to update the plugins I have, I still get the 500 error.

esmi
    Forum Moderator

@esmi

Deactivate all plugins
    Switch to the Twenty Eleven theme
    Re-run the upgrade

scspeakman

@scspeakman

All plugins are deactivated.

I have changed the site to Twenty Eleven.

I have re-run the upgrade and I get the 500 Error.

scspeakman

@scspeakman

And when I try to change back to Arras or Arras Child, I still get this:

The thumbnails cache directory (C:\HostingSpaces\agxiwnvg\terrybrooks.net\wwwroot/wp-content/themes/arras/library/cache) is not writable. You will need to set the directory’s permissions 755 or 777 for the thumbnails to work.

Thoughts?

esmi
    Forum Moderator

@esmi

Forget Arras for the moment. Is the site now running normally using Twenty Eleven? Are all plugins re-activated?

kmessinger
    Forum Moderator

@kmessinger

Is this the url? http://terrybrooks.net/ ?

scspeakman

@scspeakman

Esmi, the site is now running on Twenty Eleven. Hard to keep it there since this is an author’s website, but I’ll do for the moment.

The plugins can’t be reactivated now because:

Warning: require_once(C:\HostingSpaces\agxiwnvg\terrybrooks.net\wwwroot/wp-content/plugins/formidable/classes/models/FrmSettings.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\HostingSpaces\agxiwnvg\terrybrooks.net\wwwroot\wp-content\plugins\formidable\formidable.php on line 45 Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required ‘C:\HostingSpaces\agxiwnvg\terrybrooks.net\wwwroot/wp-content/plugins/formidable/classes/models/FrmSettings.php’ (include_path=’.’) in C:\HostingSpaces\agxiwnvg\terrybrooks.net\wwwroot\wp-content\plugins\formidable\formidable.php on line 45

And yes, kmessinger, that is the URL.

esmi
    Forum Moderator

@esmi

OK – we will get there eventually but if you keep it to just 1 step at a time, you tend to get there faster (and with more remaining hair) in the long run. Right now, it looks like you have a bad or damaged Formidable plugin. You could try deleting the plugin’s folder via FTP and then re-uploading a fresh copy to see if that fixes the current error.

kmessinger
    Forum Moderator

@kmessinger

According to the source code it is running 3.3.1.

[edit] on a windows server.

scspeakman

@scspeakman

KMessinger, via FTP, I uploaded the wp-includes and wp-admin folders from 3.3.1 as Esmi suggested. That’s why it is running 3.3.1. But I still have this message at the top:

An automated WordPress update has failed to complete – please attempt the update again now.

When I try to Re-Run 3.3.1 to get rid of that message, I get the 500 Error still.

scspeakman

@scspeakman

Esmi, 1 step at a time. 🙂

I downloaded the newest upgrade for Formidable and overwrote the plugin via FTP. It seems to be working now. So progress!

But when I try to update the WordPress to 3.3.1 — without the automated update fail there — I still get the 500 Error. I also have one more plugin — Simple Lightbox — that won’t update and that gives me the Error.

esmi
    Forum Moderator

@esmi

That sounds like the database isn’t being updated. How handy are you with Phpmyadmin?

scspeakman

@scspeakman

I’m not. I’m an actually awful at back end stuff. If you take me through step by step, I might be able to. What do you think needs to happen with the database?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • The topic ‘500 – Internal server error.’ is closed to new replies.