• redhatmandan

(@redhatmandan)

Can someone help me please. I have been trying to install the new WordPress 2.5 but keep getting this message:

“The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
    The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log.”

This error comes after beginning the process. I go to the wp-admin/install.php and go through the steps there. A password is generated and the page directs me to go to the login.php page. When I click on it, I get that error. Help.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • johnb10175

(@johnb10175)

Same thing happened to me. Attempted install twice, got 500 error both times. Done tons of installed of 2.x with no issues at all. Any help would be appreciated.

harknell

(@harknell)

I’ve found that this error sometimes has to do with a php memory issue. On a server I was installing 2.5 on I had to have the php.ini file updated to allow php to utilize 16mb instead of the default 8mb before it would let WordPress install and activate plugins. You might want to ask your server admin to do this for you and then try it out.

johnb10175

(@johnb10175)

Oddly enough I logged in the morning and the site is working perfectly. Not at all sure what caused the 500 internal server error, and I wish I had a proven fix. But at least it’s working.

Thread Starter redhatmandan

(@redhatmandan)

Harknell,

Thank you for that. My site is hosted by Powweb, and I found that when I installed their version of WP 2.3.3 in a new test blog, it worked fine. I upgraded it to 2.5 and it worked fine. I have several blogs in other subdirectories (which were working fine in 2.3.3) but all have had this error show up when I have tried to install 2.5. I am attempting now to reinstall the original 2.3.3 and upgrade. Hopefully it will work.

yolandapadilla

(@yolandapadilla)

I had the same problem when I went to log in after upgrading to 2.5. Here is how I fixed it.

First, I checked my error logs to look for a clue about what was causing the internal server error. (Here is a quick how to check your logs for sites running cPanel: )

The relevant entry in the logs was [2008-04-15 23:37:11]: error: file is writable by others: (/home/mysite/public_html/wp-login.php) (664)

So I looked at the permissions for the file wp-login.php and they were -rw-rw-r-- (644)

I did a CHMOD to change permissions to -rw-r--r--

And ta da, the problem went away and logging in worked fine.

yolandapadilla

(@yolandapadilla)

I had the same problem when I went to log in after upgrading to 2.5. Here is how I fixed it.

First, I checked my error logs to look for a clue about what was causing the internal server error. (Here is a quick how to check your logs for sites running cPanel: http://www.cpanelsupport.net/?p=36)

The relevant entry in the logs was [2008-04-15 23:37:11]: error: file is writable by others: (/home/mysite/public_html/wp-login.php) (664)

So I looked at the permissions for the file wp-login.php and they were -rw-rw-r-- (644)

I did a CHMOD to change permissions to -rw-r--r--

And ta da, the problem went away and logging in worked fine.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘500 Internal Server Error’ is closed to new replies.