• Resolved johdburr

(@johdburr)

I just installed WP Multisite from scratch in a subfolder of my webspace using the WP codex and this very nice tutorial by Ipstenu. I followed the tutorial really thoroughly!

I installed HP in a subfolder and made it running from root following the this codex article. I checked permalinks, they were working just fine. Then I turned on Multisite (sub-directories).

Everything went well. Except that now I cannot reach the dasboard for network settings from my sites menu. I always get a internal 500 error. Instead, I have to type the correct url manually to get there. E.g. to log in I use mySite.com/wordpress/wp-admin and to go manually to network settings I use mySite.com/wordpress/wp-admin/network/. This works. But as soon as I try to go there from inside the admin panel by clicking My Sites -> Network Admin -> Dashboard, the url jumps to mySite.com/wp-admin/network/ and I get the 500 error. Same, if I try to change any network settings and save them.

What’s wrong?
    Could it be the .htaccess file?

The one I have at root level contains the following:

# BEGIN WordPress
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) mySite.com/wordpress/$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ mySite.com/wordpress/$2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

# END WordPress

The second which resides in “mySite.com/wordpress/” looks as following:

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /mySite.com/wordpress/
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /mySite.com/wordpress/index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress

Any help? Thanks!
    The site is: http://zugehoerigkeitsbehoerde.de/

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Moderator Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)

(@ipstenu)

🏳️‍🌈 Advisor and Activist

Delete the second one.

Also I THINK the first should be this:

# BEGIN WordPress
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /wordpress/

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

# END WordPress
    Thread Starter johdburr

(@johdburr)

Hi Mika,

you were right! It works now! Your code did it (wiht or without deleting the second .htacces file in /wordpress/…)

But I do not understand why the first code didn’t work out? It was exactly what WP offered me during installation precess to copy over to the .htaccess file…

Anyway, tommorrow I will do some additional testing. Hopefully it will stay working…

Thanks a lot!

Moderator Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)

(@ipstenu)

🏳️‍🌈 Advisor and Activist

These two lines:

RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) mySite.com/wordpress/$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ mySite.com/wordpress/$2 [L]

Sometimes, when trying to auto detect where it should be, the tool gets a little derpy. But that shouldn’t have happened and I’m going to bang on it a while!

Thread Starter johdburr

(@johdburr)

To track this problem down, may be it’s also interesting to know:

I have the following installation directory scenario
    ~/public_html/mySite.com/wordpress/wp-config.php
    The URL mySite.com points directly to ~/public_html/mySite.com/
    As I mentioned above, I made WP running from root before activating multisite.

Now, when WP Multisite offered those htaccess and wp-config.php code during installation it shows you also the directories where those relevant files reside in. In my case this was a bit misleading: Whereas for the wp-config.php file the indicated directory was correct, for the htaccess file it wasn’t. Instead of ~/public_html/mySite.com/ WP indicated to ~/public_html/. Obviously, there is now htaccess file at this directory place (at least not that one related to the mySite.com installation).

What still confuses me: mySite.com/wp-admin redirects to mySite.com/wordpress/wp-admin (as I would expect). But: after changing the htacces code you proposed, I can access the network settings now either by mySite.com/wordpress/wp-admin/network/ or by mySite.com/wp-admin/network/ without being redirected…
    Anyway, it works now!

Thread Starter johdburr

(@johdburr)

Mika, may I ask you another question concerning your multisite tutorial?

I tried to figure out how to change the main site of my network. Scenario is as following: mySite.com is my main site. There are several subsites mySite.com/site1, site2 etc. Now, I would like to make the content of mySite.com/site1 to my main site under mySite.com and moving vice versa the content of the latter to mySite.com/site1.

I know that I could do that by exporting/reimporting the content via the export/import menu. But there is a different approach you mention here and here. In one of both posts you are referencing to your tutorial around site 80. But in the current seventh edition there is no site number 80. It stops at 71.

In addition, I couldn’t find anything highlighting this question in your tutorial. Especially, what function does have the drop down menu under dashboard (main site) -> my sites -> primary site (or main site)? Is this the option I am locking for? If so, selecting there subsite1 as my main site doesn’t change anything…

Thanks for dropping some clarifying comment on that here!

Thread Starter johdburr

(@johdburr)

I opened a new thread concerning the last question (how to change the main site).

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘500 internal error when trying to change network settings’ is closed to new replies.