• I was trying to change the domain name of my wordpress site from a .com wordpress site. I didn’t want to carry anything over, just change the domain name. The domain name for the site was purchased directly from wordpress so I thought it would be easier to switch over. I changed the name through the wp-config.php file by changing the current name to
    define(‘WP_HOME’,’applicable-name’);
    define(‘WP_SITEURL’,’applicable-name’);.
    When I changed the name, it simply lead to the other wordpress.com site, not the new one. So that I could at least continue to work on the site in the mean time, I switched it back to its original name. The moment I did that, the 500 and earlier, 404 errors began. That is the only thing I changed, nothing else at all. It is also set back to what worked perfectly fine earlier since all I had to do was change the name. I have no access to the dashboard so debugging isn’t an option and all solutions must exist outside of it.

The default name for my site was the hostname of my computer, I didn’t choose it but that is what it is. I cannot use an FTP client because I have not set it up with one. It is simply being hosted on WordPress.org and I have only had this site for about 2 days. The original setup instructions I followed to create the site were verbatim taken from https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-wordpress-with-lamp-on-ubuntu-16-04 if that matters to anyone.

Please let me know if you either know how to solve this 500 error or how to transfer the domain name over.

Thank you so much for anyone who can offer any support.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • I want to make sure I understand. Where exactly did you setup self-hosted WordPress following those instructions? Does your computer use Ubuntu OS and that’s where you set it up, or do you have a LAMP server?

When it comes to change of address and change of hosting provider, your domain’s DNS records must be updated to reflect the new IP address. Or you can use your new hosting provider’s nameservers to point domain to their servers.

When you updated wp-config.php WP_HOME and WP_SITEURL, you would have to change your DNS records too to point domain to your new server… away from WordPress.com. No DNS changes is the reason why you kept going to WordPress.com site. You can read more about DNS changes in WordPress.com here:
    https://en.support.wordpress.com/domains/custom-dns/

^V

Thread Starter bbooth4

(@bbooth4)

Thanks for you input. I am sorry that I left out that fundamental information.

I am using Ubuntu 16.04 with a LAMP server.

I am assuming that based upon that article, the DNS records need to be switched to my DNS 192.# etc. under handled by? I don’t see why I would be the host though, since isn’t that what wordpress or godaddy are act as when they provide a domain?

I could be absolutely wrong about this and I would appreciate some level of clarification?

Thread Starter bbooth4

(@bbooth4)

Also, I am not sure if switch the domain is currently even a good idea since I have the 500 server error still very much an issue.

You said you purchased domain from wordpress.com. In order to use self-hosted WordPress and be able to access it from the domain you bought, you will need to point your DNS records to your hosting company’s IP address. Wherever your LAMP server is hosted, actual server.

Keep in mind, wordpress.com has nothing to do with self-hosted WordPress. It’s 2 completely different things. The only reason wordpress.com is part of this situation is because you bought domain from them.

So, back to your LAMP server. When you set it up, and installed WordPress – were you able to access WordPress using a temporary URL or IP address before making changes to wp-config.php? I just want to make sure everything worked fine, without any 404/500 errors.

^V

Thread Starter bbooth4

(@bbooth4)

I have now sorted out the 404/500 errors. The new hosting account is now Bluehost. The name servers have been changed on the wordpress.com side to correspond to the Bluehost ones instead of the wordpress ones.

However, if I change the site address url and wordpress address url, then I will simply loose access to the site that has been created. I have been considering exporting my current wordpress file that is just a temporary name based on my computer’s hostname and then reinstalling wordpress on the bluehost side through their own set of instructions. I would then import everything onto the bluehost side.

This all seems like a round about way to solve this issue, after all why can’t I just change those urls to correspond to the site I wish to connect to.

Is there something else in my wordpress.org install that I am missing to properly connect the two?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘500 Error – when trying to change the domain name’ is closed to new replies.