• Resolved mikejandreau

(@mikejandreau)

After updating a number of my sites to 4.4.4, they’re all throwing 500 errors, so I’m downgrading back.

According to error_log: [28-Oct-2016 11:10:22 UTC] PHP Warning: include_once(): Failed opening ‘/home/mjjdesig/public_html/wp-content/uploads/wp-slimstat/browscap-db.php’ for inclusion (include_path=’.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php’) in /home/mjjdesig/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-slimstat/browscap/browser.php on line 20
    [28-Oct-2016 11:10:22 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Class ‘slim_browscap_db’ not found in /home/mjjdesig/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-slimstat/browscap/browser.php on line 22

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Plugin Author Jason Crouse

(@coolmann)

Hi, what version were you running before upgrading to version 4.4.4? It sounds like the plugin cannot download the file for some reason (permission issue?). We will be adding even more checks in the code to make sure this won’t happen in the future.

In the meanwhile can you install the Browscap Data file via Slimstat > Settings > Maintenance? There’s a button on that screen to install the library.

Jason

Plugin Author Jason Crouse

(@coolmann)

Just to add to the conversation, if you look at the source code:

https://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/browser/wp-slimstat/trunk/browscap/browser.php#L18

you will see that the include is only called after checking that the file actually exists. What you are experiencing might be related to a restriction in php.ini to NOT allow inclusion of files located in the wp-content/uploads folder. If that’s the case, you can always uninstall the Browscap data file, and let Slimstat use the built-in heuristic functionality to determine your visitors’ browser names and operating systems. That will take care of the issue.

Best,
    Jason

Thread Starter mikejandreau

(@mikejandreau)

The problem is that I can’t install or uninstall the Browcap file, because once 4.4.4 is installed and activated, the entire site 500s.

So I’ll have to wait for a version where you handle the underlying error better than 4.4.4 handles it.

(@coolmann)

We are going to implement a different approach in version 4.4.5, which is slated to be released in about 2 weeks.

Jason

Same problem here. Problem is intermittent. I get Error 500. If I keep on refreshing, mostly I get Error 500, but eventually I can get back to the plugins page to disable slimstat. Problem started with 4.4.4 and continues with 4.4.5.
    Regards
    Mark

(@coolmann)

In this case you’re then hitting your PHP memory limit. If you cannot increase it or use a newer version of PHP, simply uninstall Browscap ( Maintenance tab under Settings ). If you cannot uninstall it through the admin, delete browscap-db.php from /wp-content/uploads/wp-slimstat/.

Best,
    Jason

Thanks – updating from PHP 5.1 to 5.5 appears to have resolved it.

(@coolmann)

Terrific!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘500 error on 4.4.4’ is closed to new replies.