Support » Fixing WordPress » 5 minute load times

• Last week site loaded fine, even though it is content heavy. After WP update, and I believe 2 or 3 plugin updates, load times are exceeding 5 minutes. There have been content updates, but nothing that should affect functionality. I am not receiving any errors, only slow page calls. Help please!

The page I need help with: [log in to see the link]

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Moderator James Huff

(@macmanx)

Volunteer Moderator

This may be a plugin or theme conflict. Please attempt to disable all plugins, and switch to the default Twenty Seventeen theme. If the problem goes away, enable them one by one to identify the source of the problem.

If you can install plugins, install Health Check. On the troubleshooting tab, you can click the button to disable all plugins and change the theme for you, while you’re still logged in, without affecting normal visitors to your site.

Thank you James. I am having trouble even logging in due to the slow load times – 504 error. Will reboot and retry.

Reboot? Is this a localhost install?

Hmmm. Now I can’t even log in. This is not looking good. Any ideas anybody?

no – hostgator

Hostgator!!! If you have a plugin called Proxy Cache Purge then try to shove that Varnish or Nginx Proxy into Development mode. That cache can mess up occasionally and cause problems there with Hostgator.

I recently acquired a client who complained about their site being down often for a time. I just Flushed that Proxy and left it in Dev Mode for the weekend while I did my work. I think it’s ran fine ever since. And I didn’t do a thing to affect performance except that.

There should be a command on the dashboard bar for that if the plugin is there. I kind of thought it was par for the course with Hostgator.

If that doesn’t clear up the problem then Call Hostgator… something is wrong there.

It might be ‘Content Heavy’ and causing issues but I’m gonna say it’s probably something they can point you at.

Do look at your error logs too via the file manager.

If it’s database timeouts then Optimize that database after doing a good backup.

I use both WP-Sweep and WP-Optimize plugins. They each act a little different from the other.

Backup database using WP-DBManager.

Hello,
    Follow this first

If you can install plugins, install Health Check. On the troubleshooting tab, you can click the button to disable all plugins and change the theme for you, while you’re still logged in, without affecting normal visitors to your site.

Also, you can check your site by https://gtmetrix.com/

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/jrEjuY3.png

Here is your site details- https://gtmetrix.com/reports/pro-cutter.com/2oh4t9sa

You should fix this- https://i.imgur.com/nIKKavC.png

Thanks.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by  Fahim Murshed.

Thank you for the input everybody. I was finally able to login in and install WP health. Among others, I am seeing the following faults in the health report.

Background updates

A plugin has prevented updates by disabling wp_version_check().
    No version control systems were detected.
    Your installation of WordPress doesn’t require FTP credentials to perform updates.
    All of your WordPress files are writable.

Loopback request The loopback request to your site failed, this may prevent WP_Cron from working, along with theme and plugin editors.
    Error encountered: (0) cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 10000 milliseconds with 0 bytes received

Result from testing without any plugins active and a default theme: The loopback request to your site failed, this may prevent WP_Cron from working, along with theme and plugin editors.
    Error encountered: (0) cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 10000 milliseconds with 0 bytes received

JNashHawkins:
    Proxy Cache Purge is not a plugin we use.

Moderator James Huff

(@macmanx)

Volunteer Moderator

Try manually resetting your plugins (no Dashboard access required). If that resolves the issue, reactivate each one individually until you find the cause.

If that does not resolve the issue, access your server via SFTP or FTP, or a file manager in your hosting account’s control panel (consult your hosting provider’s documentation for specifics on these), navigate to /wp-content/themes/ and rename the directory of your currently active theme. This will force the default theme to activate and hopefully rule-out a theme-specific issue (theme functions can interfere like plugins).

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘5 minute load times’ is closed to new replies.