I am a new to WordPress and am having great difficulties with the installation on my local Windows machine (Window 7). I followed the instructions for the 5-minute installation, but keep getting a database connection error when trying to install WordPress via the Microsoft Web Platform: “access denied for ‘root’@’localhost’ (using password: YES).
During installation I used the Default Web Site on page 1 and created a new database on page 2, using all the defaults and simple passwords for the admin and user accounts. I have tried all the possible combinations of default and new on both pages but keep getting the same error.
Here is a complete history, as I feel something here might have some relation to the problem:
- Before deciding on WordPress I had looked into Joomla, and had installed both XAMPP and Joomla.
- There was a hitch installing the Microsoft Web Platform, (perhaps because of XAMPP?), but that seemed to work out when I installed SQL server independently, following instructions from a thread in the MS forum.
- I have uninstalled XAMPP, but the problem still exists.
- Wanting to get a feel for WordPress, I installed the Bitnami Native Stack Installer, but the management tool for phpMyAdmin will not accept the name and password I set up during installation.
- When installing Bitnami, Port 80 was not available.
I am not a developer but have experience with the backends of both Typo-3 and Joomla. I plan on creating several WordPress sites, so I am eager to get started.
I appreciate all help!
p.s. Since I have several sites to create and may likely create many more in the future, I would like to know if using a dedicated (internal) hard drive to use as my development web server would be good idea. If so, how do I completely uninstall Microsoft Web Platform and all the components it installed from my C: drive to make a clean start on the dedicated drive? Thanks.