• nicknormal

(@nicknormal)

Greetings.

I clicked ‘upgrade now’ – and I’m regretting it.

I got the dreaded ‘Fatal error: Allowed memory size of…’ error; it randomly points to files in the theme folders, and the place it points to bounces around with every refresh.

I have read everything here:
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/read-this-first-wordpress-45-master-list?replies=7
    That’s a lot to take in.

I have followed these instructions for increasing memory limits:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP

I have followed the cut-and-paste response that Mods give users about fatal errors:

1. Try adding this line to your wp-config.php file:
    define(‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ’64M’);

2. If you have access to your PHP.ini file, change the line in PHP.ini
    If your line shows 32M try 64M:
    memory_limit = 64M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (64MB)

3. If you don’t have access to PHP.ini try adding this to an .htaccess file:
    php_value memory_limit 64M

4. Talk to your host.

Each of these results in either the fatal error bouncing to a new location, or better-and-worse yet the error goes away but the screen for the live website or /wp-admin/ is blank, white (and when I View Source it is one line, blank, empty).

And every now and then, no idea why sometimes it appears sometimes it doesn’t, I get:
    Fatal error: Unknown: Cannot use output buffering in output buffering display handlers in Unknown on line 0

4.5 … Not sure. Any thoughts? Help.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mark Ratledge

(@songdogtech)

Who is the host? Have you talked to them?

Thread Starter nicknormal

(@nicknormal)

Host is MediaTemple; they say ask WordPress.

Help.

Mark Ratledge

(@songdogtech)

What kind/cost of hosting account? Did you specifically ask them to help raise PHP memory?

Rename the plugins folder with FTP to deactivate all plugins. https://codex.wordpress.org/FAQ_Troubleshooting#How_to_deactivate_all_plugins_when_not_able_to_access_the_administrative_menus.3F

Moderator Samuel Wood (Otto)

(@otto42)

WordPress.org Admin

Instead of 64M, try 128M. Just to see if it’s really a memory issue, or if your system isn’t letting you raise the memory limit.

(@nicknormal)

Sorry I didn’t clarify; when I say I’ve tried the cut-and-paste response Mods give to users about memory limits, I also mean I’ve tried other correlating numbers that users have used to resolve their memory limit errors i.e. I’ve tried 38, 64, 128.

To clarify, .htaccess has php_value memory_limit 128M;

/etc/php.ini can have the memory limit set or not, and this usually produce the blank/white screen;

changing wp-config.php seems to have the least (as in no) effect.

The challenge is that /wp-admin/ is inaccessible, blank, or riddled with errors, so I cannot ‘Deactivate’ plugins; I can remove/rename them via FTP but it’s my understanding this maintains their activation inside WordPress, that they’re just gone, not deactivated.
    Going that route I can access /wp-admin/ but as soon as I kick the theme back on the fatal errors reappear, and bounce around, from file to file, line to line.

I’m lost.

Luckily this is a website that barely gets 10 hits/day, but no way am I upgrading other domains or clients that have 1-10k/hits day, if I can’t figure this out.

Any help is appreciated.

(@nicknormal)

I have a support request into the host regarding a known issue with the theme; but my fatal errors are not reported by other users of the theme. Host says average response time is 20 hours, so standing by. (btw I’m on Grid, have been for 10 years with no problems like this)

Mark Ratledge

(@songdogtech)

that they’re just gone, not deactivated.

They are force-deactivated when they don’t exist, and don’t use memory.

If theme activation causes the memory errors, than it’s a good chance it’s the theme. Which theme?

But the main issue may be that some hosts don’t allow memory overrides via those methods; you’re stuck with what they give.

(@nicknormal)

Again, another clarify. Right now the theme is active, and the website is live; the theme relies on 7 plugins, 6 are optional, one is required; right now everything is stable, visible, no errors.

There is however a quirk in the theme ‘upgrade’ process that requires
    mbstring.func_overload = 0
    This is the support request I currently have into the host, to confirm – and if necessary, to set – the setting.
    Because when I initiate the theme upgrade, the fatal errors kick in; but they are all over the place, which I can’t pin down. At this point I have to remove the theme folder, rename the plugins, etc. to reset the site to some semblance of operation.

So if there’s any known correlation between
    mbstring.func_overload = 0
    and fatal errors, I’d love to try and troubleshoot that while waiting for the host to respond. I apparently cannot set that setting from within php.ini, contrary to some docs online.

Cheers.

Mark Ratledge

(@songdogtech)

I apparently cannot set that setting from within php.ini….

You can’t on shared system like Grid. Wait for MT to get back to you.

(@nicknormal)

Thanks for the tip. Standing by. I’ll post my findings here when I know more.

Cheers.

(@nicknormal)

Implementing this setting in php.ini has at least made the fatal errors not creep up during theme ‘upgrade’:

max_input_vars = 5000

Hope this helps someone else. I’m still waiting for further resolution before marking this topic resolved.

Thanks for your patience and assistance.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘4.5 Upgrade, now various bugs, fatal memory, blank screens, and more.’ is closed to new replies.