• For some reason, I can edit blog posts and site pages on WP without problem, but when I try to edit my navigation or sidebars, I’m presented with the following when I try and Save my work.

“Error 406
    The resource cannot be displayed
    The resource you are looking for cannot be opened by your browser.”

I’ve tried to edit from a number of machines so I know it isn’t a problem with my own system – is there a simpe explanation for this?

Being a newbie I’d appreciate any help, it’s very annoying!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • in ie? have you googled that?

wheres your blog?

Thread Starter mattmp

(@mattmp)

http://www.myperspectiva.com – the error is indeed in IE, Google has thrown up absolutely nothing!

mod-security …

toss up a php file with this in it:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

open it in your browser, scroll down to under Apache to where the modules are listed. whats that say?

and google returns 1000s of hits for that error, and troubleshooting. Im not telling you you shouldnt have posted this here, just asking if you had looked.

<IfModule mod_security.c>
    SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off
    </IfModule>

put that in your .htaccess

i triggered it posting a comment 😛

“curl your .htaccess and wget it” sets it off

see post above to fix, and please dont forget to mark this resolved.

you can drop an .htaccess in your wp-admin folder with the above 4 lines it, or add it to the .htaccess in the root of your wordpress install, where wp-config.php is.

One way will disable it for your entire site, one way just for the admin area. Up to you.

if youre wondering what IT is that youre disabling, see this for more info:

http://www.modsecurity.org/

Thread Starter mattmp

(@mattmp)

Pardon my ignorance – I mentioned I was a newbie – could you give me more specific instructions on how to implement the above? Is it a case of logging into WP online and changing something or going to my own hosting company and editing an individual file there?

Appreciate the help…

Just tried this fix and it worked on the page I was trying to edit. Well done whooami!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘406 Error’ is closed to new replies.