Support » Plugin: Redirectioner » 404 page suggestions code?

• First off, thank you very much for taking over support for this plugin. It is almost exactly what I have been looking for.

Now, in the 404 Page Suggestions section of the plugin’s admin panel Options tab it says, “Activates the 404 page suggestions function. Only works if the code is in your 404 page template.” There is no indication as to what exactly is, “the code.”

So I think to myself, “What code??”

I finally found it on the plugin’s Installation page here on WordPress.org. (I rarely read a plugin’s installation page, because, like many, I now how to install a plugin.)

As a suggestion, perhaps more explanation could be provided on the plugin’s admin panel, or at least a link to the Installation page here at:

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Thread Starter Gone Fishin

(@terryg-1)

For some reason, the link to the plugin’s Installation page was stripped.

Let’s try again:

Thread Starter Gone Fishin

(@terryg-1)

Nope, stripped again. (Thanks wordpress.org.)

wordpress.org/plugins/404-redirected/installation/

Plugin Contributor Remkus de Vries

(@defries)

Thanks for taking the time to let post here and I’m sorry if the experience was confusing. When I took over the plugin I’ve only concentrated on getting the code up to par. In other words, documentation inside the code, the plugin and on the website have not been updated yet.

Your post here reminded me to do just that. It’ll take some time, but I’ll start working on improving this. Thanks again!

Aaron

(@aaron13100)

I’d also like to know what code I need to add to make the suggestions work.
    Some places say to add

<?php if (function_exists( 'wbz404_suggestions' ) ) { wbz404_suggestions(); } ?>

to 404.php but my theme doesn’t have a 404.php.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Aaron.
    Thread Starter Gone Fishin

(@terryg-1)

@aaron13100, I looked at the 22 themes I have installed in my local WordPress development installation. And, only one of those (atahualpa) did not have a 404.php page. It has the 404 message hard-coded into index.php!

So, if you’re not totally in love with your current theme, you might want to consider using a different one.

Or, you can create your own 404.page. The tutorial, How To Create A Simple 404 Error Page For WordPress Themes, makes it relatively easy by instruction you to copy and modify the page.php file giving you a head start. (Atahualpa doesn’t even have a page.php file.)

How to Create a Custom WordPress 404 Error Page is a bit newer, but more comprehensive. Yet, they leave out the head-start suggestion of using a modified version of page.php.

All the above is actually off-topic for this support thread, so let me get back on topic.

The code you posted above works. Just add it to your 404.php.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘404 page suggestions code?’ is closed to new replies.