Support » Fixing WordPress » 404 Page Not Working in Internet Explorer

• I have a custom WordPress 404 page for my theme. It works great in Firefox and Opera, but when using Internet Explorer my 404 page is not displayed, but rather a generic windows 404 error page.

Here is a bad link to test:
    http://www.1955design.com/badpage/

Has anyone had experience with this problem or know how to solve it? Thanks.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • I resolved this problem by placing the following code in my .htaccess file:

ErrorDocument 404 /wp/wp-content/themes/1955/404.php

My mistake, the problem is not resolved. One one or two occassions the 404 was invoked by IE, but it consistently fails to trigger. Werid behavior.

Same problem here. Did you find a solution to this? I hit refresh a few times, and the custom 404 eventually shows up. STRANGE! I imagine a header or .htaccess tweak could cure this, but not certain what.

Moderator kmessinger

(@kmessinger)

I don’t think you will have very much luck tagging on to three (yes, I would consider that multiple posting) posts that are months old.

It is also (except for the mindreaders here, who are usually very busy) impossible to even consider support without a URL. At the very least, list one in your profile.

Placing these 2 items above the get_header at the very top of my 404 file appears to have fixed it for me:

<?php ob_start(); ?>
    <?php header(“HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found”); ?>

Thank you very much.
    I only added <?php ob_start(); ?> and it worked well.

But I don’t know what it means. I don’t know much PHP.

This fixed it for me, too. Thanks!

Thanks!

This was my original post, and your solution works for me, but does anyone know WHY this works?

I was having the same issue, works now, though, like everyone else, I don’t know why.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘404 Page Not Working in Internet Explorer’ is closed to new replies.