• Resolved florafair

(@florafair)

Well this is what I get for trying to get fancy. I was trying to password-protect my site until it’s live, via the password protection on Network Solutions. I wasn’t sure what I was doing, so I created a “home” directory, and I password protected both that and the base directory (known as /). If I’m explaining this wrong, it shows how little I know about all this. At any rate, once I did this, the site got a little wonky. I could go to the homepage, but once I clicked on any other page, I started getting this message:

404: Page not found
    This error is generated when there was no web page with the name you specified at the web site.
    Troubleshooting suggestions:
    Ensure the page you are linking to exists in the correct folder.
    Check your file name for case sensitivity . Index.htm is not the same as index.htm!
    Temporarily disable any rewrite rules by renaming your .htaccess file if it exists.

I removed all the password protections, removed the Home folder I’d created in my htdocs file, and I still got this message for all pages except my homepage. I tried backing up to a previous database version, renamed my .htaccess file, tried re-uploading all my WordPress files to my ftp and overwriting the old ones, tried deleting and making new pages … nothing seems to work.

The site is florastadler(dot)com. Help!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Thread Starter florafair

(@florafair)

I resolved this by re-setting the permalinks to default, and then setting them back to my customization. This fixed the problem, in case anyone else runs into it in the future.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! i just did the EXACT same thing with network solutions as im developing my site.

i got the exact same error and googled it and up came your posting!

you saved me!!!!!

drew

Thank you very much for posting this here! I had the same exact problem and did what you suggested (resetting my Permalinks back to default tand then changing back) and that worked perfectly. I would have never thought to do that in a million years.

Thanks!!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘404: Page not found’ is closed to new replies.