• Resolved shootingparrots

(@shootingparrots)

My 404 page doesn’t appear to work and I just get a text ‘not found message’.

I suspect that the problem lies with my server conrol panel which asks for a link to a 404 page for my blog folder. However, I have tried every combination I can think of without success.

Can anyone advise me on the correct setting?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You shouldn’t need to enter anything in your server’s cpanel. Just let WP look after the 404s.

Thread Starter shootingparrots

(@shootingparrots)

I tried that, but the 404 defaults to the 404 page on my root folder which is for my other website.

See http://shootingparrots.co.uk to see what happens.

What’s in your root .htaccess file?

(@shootingparrots)

I have an .htaccess file in my blog root folder: http://www.rhodesfamily.org.uk/blog/. The content is:

AddType application/x-httpd-php5 .php .php5

I’ve copied the same file to my main root folder, but my blog still defaults to my main 404 page.

Moderator James Huff

(@macmanx)

Volunteer Moderator

Add this to your root .htaccess file:

ErrorDocument 404 /blog/index.php?error=404

(@shootingparrots)

I added that to the .htaccess in both my blog root folder and my main root folder. Initiatially I got this message:

Not Found

The requested URL /,jhhh was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I tried clearing the server setting, but that brought me back to my other 404 default.

The requested URL /,jhhh was not found on this server.

Where did the comma in the url come from?

(@shootingparrots)

Sorry, I just scrabbled a few keys after my URL to bring up the 404 message.

Have you set up a custom 404 page in your hosting account’s control panel?

(@shootingparrots)

I haven’t done anything in the control panel — there didn’t seem any point if it wasn’t working.

I have a number of themes that I’ve created in Artisteer which puts a 404.php in each folder, although I have the same problem with the default theme when I set up my blog.

The other thing to mention is that when I saved a copy mof the .htaccess file in my main root folder, Dreamweaver created it as a .htm file.

If the problem is occurring with the default theme and there are no plugins active, the issue lies within the server. Try contacting your hosts and asking if they have any ideas.

(@shootingparrots)

I tryed my hosts first, but they couldn’t help. If the problem could be plug-ins, should I delete and re-install?

You could try:

– deactivating all plugins to see if this resolves the problem. If this works, re-activate the plugins one by one until you find the problematic plugin(s).

– switching to the default theme to rule out any theme-specific problems.

resetting the plugins folder by FTP or phpMyAdmin. Sometimes, an apparently inactive plugin can still cause problems.

– re-uploading the wp-admin and wp-includes folders from a fresh download of WordPress.

increasing the available memory.

(@shootingparrots)

Thanks,
    I will try that and let you know what happens tomorrow — just off to bed.

(@shootingparrots)

I gave it a try anyway and now my blog doesn’t work at all!

The same thing happened when I first set it up — some problem with the way it was configured. My hosting helpdesk solved it last time, so I will call them in the morning.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘404 Page Missing’ is closed to new replies.