• Resolved Knowles2

(@knowles2)

Hi all

I got a problem with a word press site I have been developing, when I got to a page that should generate a 404 error page I am instead getting a brunch of code

http://www.skateloughton.org/broken

I am using the latest version of WordPress and Suffusion theme

It not the recent updates as it was produce this error before I installed those.

I have tried deactivating and reactivating plugins one by one but the same error was still being produce.

I also added
    ErrorDocument 404 /htdocs/index.php?error=404
    ErrorDocument 404 /404.php
    to the .htaccess file at the beginning on the file as suggested by the codex, this did not solve it either.

I tried change to the default theme, this produce the Twenty Eleven produce

in -->

<footer id="colophon" role="contentinfo">

<div id="site-generator">
    								<a href="http://wordpress.org/" title="Semantic Personal Publishing Platform" rel="generator">Proudly powered by WordPress</a>
    			</div>
    	</footer><!-- #colophon -->
    </div><!-- #page -->

</body>
    </html>

I have tried all the different Permalink options and they all end up with the same result or a variation of the above.

I have tried numerous solutions, I have found the internet and I have not be able to fixed this error, any help would be appreciated.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Can you put a screenshot of the error / bunch of code you are getting? When trying to request a non existing file on your website, there are no redirects (or it takes forever to redirect).

Thread Starter Knowles2

(@knowles2)

Hi

Thanks for the comment, here a screenshot of the code I am getting;

You forgot to add a password in your FTP URL.

ftp://username:password@ftpsite.com

Thread Starter Knowles2

(@knowles2)

If you try to add the below to the .htaccess file in the WordPress root, does it work?

ErrorDocument 404 “File not found”

This should show only a text.

The problem you are having seems like the web server is not parsing the code but returning it instead.

Thread Starter Knowles2

(@knowles2)

Unfortunately it did not work, I added the content of the htaccess file below;

ErrorDocument 404 "File not found"
    # BEGIN s2Member GZIP exclusions
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    	RewriteEngine On
    	RewriteBase /
    	RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (^|\?|&)s2member_file_download\=.+
    	RewriteRule .* - [E=no-gzip:1]
    </IfModule>
    # END s2Member GZIP exclusions

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress

The code I am getting is the same as before.

Post the content of your 404.php here. Th generated page is not complete, you have some html error causing that to begin with.

Thread Starter Knowles2

(@knowles2)

Thread Starter Knowles2

(@knowles2)

Have anyone got any suggestion on what I can do to solve my problem

Hi did you manage to solve this?

Thread Starter Knowles2

(@knowles2)

No, i wasn’t able to solve it, i almost certain it a server side problem through, the site ran fine on my own server at producing 404 errors, but the server people never got back to me and still haven’t fixed it, sadly I do not have access to the server backend to investigate further. If you got any other ideas on what could be causing this please post.

The problem is server side. If you use a web debugger you will find out in the server response there is an HTTP Protocol violation, thus the page is broken.

In fact the server does not respond with a 404 error but with an internal server error (500).

Definitely this is not a WordPress issue.

Thread Starter Knowles2

(@knowles2)

Thanks John for Confirming my suspicions, will have to wait for the next committee meeting and suggest that I put the website on my own server, that way, may be other things will stop breaking every time I visit the site as well.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘404 error page not working’ is closed to new replies.