WordPress.org

Support

Support » Multisite » [Resolved] 404 only on subsite wp-admin pages

[Resolved] 404 only on subsite wp-admin pages

• Okay, i will be surprised if I am repeating apost here, but I have searched high and low today and cannot find anywhere online that has the same issue as me.

My website (http://mirror242.com/) [pardon the Christian undertone, i run the site for my youth group] and we have a couple people that are blogging using their own sub domains (mirror242.com/nick as well as mirror242.com/alicia)

So I can get to the root or main Mirror242 wp-admin and my network admin stiff just fine, it is the other sites that through a godaddy.com 404 page when I try and go to the sub-sites wp-admin or dashboard sections…

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Sorry, one more thing,

It looks as though the sub-sites do not have a theme, they are just white with text from the posts…

wow, I think i figured it out:

thanks to this website:
    http://journalxtra.com/2010/07/how-to-force-multi-site-to-use-subdirectories/

I replaced whatever was in my .htaccess file with

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?files/(.+)  wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
    # END WordPress

DONE!

Just to point something out to you… That’s IN the directions for Creating a Network.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network#.htaccess_and_Mod_Rewrite

You missed a step, is all.

I also wrestled with this all day today, with the added complication that I’m using a Windows/IIS server. In my case specifically, I had a clean, current WP Network install, all working, and when I’d create and visit sub-sites (using subdirectories), I saw the same thing as @mirror242 – an unformatted page, and I got a 404 error when trying to view the dashboard/backend/”sub-site/wp-admin/”.

The windows fix is what seems to be an error with the web.config code WordPress outputs for you when you install multisite:

WP Code:
    <rule name=”WordPress Rule 5″ stopProcessing=”true”>
    <match url=”^[_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/(wp-(content|admin|includes).*)” ignoreCase=”false” />
    <action type=”Rewrite” url=”{R:2}” />
    </rule>

Corrected Code:
    <rule name=”WordPress Rule 5″ stopProcessing=”true”>
    <match url=”^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*)” ignoreCase=”false” />
    <action type=”Rewrite” url=”{R:2}” />
    </rule>

Note the second line now has a “(” at col14 and “)?” at col30 and 31.

That fixed both issues! Hope this helps other users begrudgingly using IIS :).

astockwell – Since you’re using IIS, this is the wrong thread for you 🙂 Remember, if you don’t have the SAME problem, adding in ‘Me to, except…’ makes it harder for folks down the road.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘[Resolved] 404 only on subsite wp-admin pages’ is closed to new replies.