• I read through some of the other topics and thought mine was really similar but nothing has really worked.

I created the subdomain blog.alilies.com but when I go to blog.alilies.com/wp-admin it gives me a 404 page.

I thought it was an issue with paths and redirecting. This is what my CPanel says for my subdomains. But shouldn’t this be fine? Since it’s redirecting to my public_html and that’s where my wordpress is installed.

Subdomains .Root Domain Document Root Redirection Actions
    *.alilies.com home/public_html not redirected Manage Redirection Remove
    blog.alilies.com home/public_html not redirected Manage Redirection Remove

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You might want to contact Hostgator so they can look at your directories and see where you’ve installed wordpress and what your settings are.

Hi alilies,

I host with HG as well – and though they seemed pretty good in the past, the service has dropped tremendously… including their technical support, who will tell you anything from “wait 4-8 for the sub-domain to propogate” to “hostgator doesn’t support multisite”.

That little rant aside – here are the steps I take to getting multisite installations up and running on HostGator.

1 – correctly add the main domain (ensure dns setting etc.)
    2 – wait 24hrs for full resolution
    3 – install wordpress (make sure installed domain is WITHOUT the www.)
    4 – using the HG Control Panel, use specifically the Add Sub-Domain tool there
    4 – add *.yourdomain.com
    5 – wait 4-8 hours
    6 – go through the multi-site setup steps

In your current case you should not need to re-install, but from my experience you may have to wait up to 48hrs to see your multisite resolve properly.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘404 Hostgator Subdomain’ is closed to new replies.