Support » Plugin: Broken Link Checker » 404 Header status for custom 404 page

• Resolved Leopard-Lady

(@leopard-lady)

Just got a notice from Google Console that 404’s are returning a “soft 404”.

I have a custom error page and in the settings of your plugin I have it set to do a 301 to existing page and the selected page is “error page”.

When I run this through Chrome Dev Tools, in the network tab, when I initiate an intentional URL error, it does bring me to the custom error page, BUT the header status is “200 ok” – and the header status should be “404 not found”.

I am using the free version of the Astra theme. In it’s 404 template it just simply calls up the default header (ie. get_header(); ?>).

What is the best way to remedy this, please?
    – custom coding in your plugin?
    – custom coding in theme 404 template?
    – custom function?
    – error handling via .htaccess?

EDITED TO ADD: Iā€™m running PHP 7.2.12 with FPM application served by Nginx on this site.

Whichever way is best to remedy this to set the correct “404 not found” header status, I want to be absolutely sure that I am still receiving broken link notices from your plugin.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide on this šŸ™‚
    LL

• This topic was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by  Leopard-Lady.
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Plugin Support Nemanja Aleksic

(@kouteki)

Plugin has been updated to support PHP7.2 and WP 5.1.1. These two were the cause for a lot of the recent bugs.

Please let me know if the issue persists with the latest version of BLC.

Cheers,
    Nemanja

Leopard-Lady

(@leopard-lady)

Hi Nemanja – @kouteki
    I just realized I should NOT have posted this issue to you. 404 header status output has nothing at all to do with your plugin ==> DUH!!! I am so sorry.

Thank you for all your hard work on Broken Link Checker! I’ve relied on it for a few years now. It seems to always work very well.

Again, my apologies for this post. You can delete even, if you’d like.

Have a good day,
    LL

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.