WordPress.org

Forums

404 Errors on MU to WP3 Network Upgrade (8 posts)

1. Blogmudgeon
    Posted 4 years ago #

Up until recently, I was running a WPMU 2.9.x installation in subdomain mode. Yesterday, I applied the 3.0.1 upgrade through the dashboard. The suggested edits to .htaccess and wp-config.php were done--and everything appeared to run correctly. Until...

I created a new blog, and went to edit the |About| page. The new title appeared in the theme tab, but when clicked on returned a 404 page. Checking further, new posts appear correctly on the main index page--but when clicked on for a "read more" or single page display create a 404 page instead.

Going back to the main blog, all old posts also display properly on the main page, but again any tab to a static page or single page display by clicking on either "read more" or the article title returns a 404. Here is the .htaccess, but I find nothing wrong:

RewriteBase /

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !.*wp-content/plugins.*
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^.*/wp-admin$
    RewriteRule ^(.+)$ $1/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

<IfModule mod_security.c>
    <Files async-upload.php>
    SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off
    </Files>
    </IfModule>

Clicking on anything that directs away from the index page goes 404 in the existing blog or a newly created one. As I say, this was running fine until the upgrade, with no issues on new created or old blogs.

Any suggestions, as the site is pretty useless now...

P.S. URL is

2. Blogmudgeon
    Posted 4 years ago #

blogmudgeon.com

For some reason the link did not post...

P

3. MrBrian
    Posted 4 years ago #

Well your .htaccess is correct. Lets see your wp-config.php perhaps?

4. That is weird, as the permalinks are all controlled by the htaccess file. The one line edit you had to do is for media files, not permalinks.

Just for giggles make a copy of your original htaccess and try this one below.

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$1 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
    # END WordPress

5. Blogmudgeon
    Posted 4 years ago #

OUTSTANDING!

Andrea, thank you. After a 3AM bedtime from kludging custom hacks into a new vB install, a very bleary eyed me replaced the .htaccess with your suggested file at 9AM. The new file bears a strong resemblance to a single blog WP 2.6+ script, no?

All links are now functional--on both old and newly created sites. Tempting fate (as was part of the original plan) I changed the permalinks from date canonical to /%postname%.html for friendly SEO. Flawless...

Now, if I could just find a decent XML sitemap to replace Google XML Sitemaps in 3.0 network mode, I would be one happy publisher...

P

6. VentureMaker
    Posted 4 years ago #

7. MrBrian
    Posted 4 years ago #

Maybe you just needed "RewriteEngine On" at the top - none of the rewrite rules would work without it.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.