• Resolved diferro

(@diferro)

Hi,

I hope someone could help me understand why I’m seeing a ton (90+) of 404 errors from /cgi-bin? I’m no coder and just a dabbler of WordPress over the past few years but this is the first time I’ve run into CGI-BIN folder errors.

I have already added it to the robots.txt file and Google’s already cached it on July 25. This may have done the trick as the last 404 file indicated is dated July 23.

What is cgi-bin? Why am I seeing these errors? As far as I can tell, there’s nothing within the folder

Any insights would be appreciated.

Cheers

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • WordPress will have nothing to do with the /cgi-bin on your site. cgi-bin is the folder used to store files known as CGI scripts – programs usually written in a scripting language like Perl. WordPress, on the other hand, uses PHP files which reside on your web root – outside of the cgi-bin.

Have you spoken to your hosts about this? It could simply be someone trying to look for a way to hack the site (common cgi scripts sometimes contained security holes, so they were an obvious magnet for hackers).

Thread Starter diferro

(@diferro)

Thanks Esmi. I’ve spoken to host and they haven’t noticed any unwanted traffic.

They said I just have to disallow the folder within robots.txt (which I had already done) to resolve any crawling issues from Google.

I guess time will tell.

Thanks again.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘404 errors: cgi-bin’ is closed to new replies.