W3 Total Cache
404 errors after install (8 posts)

  1. aikorei
    Posted 3 years ago #

    I installed W3TC (I've used it on other sites without problem), but after I did so I got 404 errors on two of my pages. I deactivated the plugin, 404s remained. I uninstalled, 404s remained. I checked the .htaccess file to ensure everything related to W3TC was gone (it was), 404s remained. I reinstalled and flushed the cache, 404s remained. I tried updating the pages and purging them from the cache on the pages page, but still have the 404 errors.

    I even followed the instructions on this page: http://trebleclick.blogspot.com/2010/09/fix-404-pages-w3-total-cache-in-wp.html

    I just can't seem to get rid of this problem! Can anyone tell me what's happening?


  2. aikorei
    Posted 3 years ago #

    I should also note that as I'm playing around with settings, I'm getting an error that minify is having issues, and to verify that my apache server allows .htaccess (or something similar). It does. Based on this error from past versions, I switched minify mode to manual and emptied the cache, and my pages still show up as 404 errors.

  3. aikorei
    Posted 3 years ago #

    OK, I've gone through every site in my hosting account and removed every W3TC section from every .htaccess file, every table in every database, and every file from every site corresponding with the list found on this post:


    What else could possibly be doing this? The page shows up in my admin panel, but the permalink resolves to 404 error.

  4. aikorei
    Posted 3 years ago #

    OK, I've even gone so far as adding an entirely new page, with a new (though similar name), and a new permalink, and it's still populating as page not found. This is nuts.

  5. aikorei
    Posted 3 years ago #

    Well, I happened to stumble upon another post where someone said they simply needed to re-save their permalink setting. Literally all I did was click on the permalink menu item in the Admin panel, then click save, and a message appeared saying "Permalink structure updated." All is well now.

    I'm not sure why this got borked when installing W3TC, but it did. Oh well.

  6. jesuskal
    Posted 3 years ago #

    Hi Aikorei!
    Thanks for your posts. I've spent hours searching for an answer to this.
    Indeed the re-saving of permalink setting worked.!

  7. aikorei
    Posted 3 years ago #

    At least I wasn't alone! Though I am sorry you had to deal with it too....

    Glad it worked for you too.

  8. oscarhelm
    Posted 3 years ago #

    I had the same problem.

    Thanks for the solution!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Plugin

  • W3 Total Cache
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Support Threads
  • Reviews

About this Topic