Support » Fixing WordPress » 404 error when updating posts or pages with images

• Since I updated to WordPress 4.1.1, a few days ago, I can no longer add images from media library to posts or pages. I can upload images to media library just fine. Images insert into posts/pages just fine. However, images not retained during “update” or “publish”.

I can create new pages/posts with text only.
    I can update existing pages/posts with text only.

I have deactivated all plugins (double-checked via cpanel)
    I have cleared cache
    I have switched to WordPress default theme 2015

I continue to get 404 error whenever I try to add an image to either a post or a page.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • can you see images while previewing a post?

also can you load images by their URL? if you click a image in media manager, a seperate page with the image appears, it has a link to image.

Thread Starter Cabinfever04

(@cabinfever04)

Thank you for your reply, laliz.

I can see the image in the “edit post” view, but when I click either the “Preview Changes” or “Update” buttons I get the 404 error.

I added the image manually, via the text tab of the edit post view, and used the url from the image info in media manager; I switched to “visual” tab and could see the image there, but when I click the “Preview Changes” or “Update” buttons I get the same result: 404 error.

(@cabinfever04)

Just discovered now… an additional instance of the 404 error that may yield a clue to the source of the problem:

In the WordPress editor, I just tried a small edit (font-size) to the theme stylesheet and when I clicked “Update File” I got the 404 error.

Any and all help appreciated!

Have you checked the file permissions ?

(@cabinfever04)

Thanks for your reply, WPyogi.

All permissions were good before the update to 4.1.1.
    I haven’t changed any of the permissions since the 404 error began.

Is there a specific directory I should investigate first?

(@cabinfever04)

I should mention I have a standard install to root directory

(@cabinfever04)

I’m finding the material in “Changing _File_Permissions” a bit confusing. If someone could offer a simple description of what I need to do I would be most grateful.

I’m not sure what to change first, and am hesitant to start changing permissions willy-nilly. My site was majorly hacked 2 years ago and I don’t want to put it at risk.

Currently:
    I do have a .htaccess file in root directory with permission 644
    All my WordPress files in root directory are permission 644
    All 3of my WordPress subdirectories (-admin, -content, -includes) are permission 755
    All my files in each of those subdirectories are permission 644

What’s your site URL? Those should be okay, but something isn’t working, obviously.

Have you tried resetting your permalinks? Go to Settings > Permalinks and press SAVE.

(@cabinfever04)

Reset permalinks as suggested – no improvement.

My site is:
    http://www.UnconventionalEquestrian.com

Why is that URL redirecting to:

http://www.fraserwood.com/ ??

(@cabinfever04)

It’s supposed to. Never had a problem with it in last few years. Could that be causing issues now after the update to 4.1.1?

can you please upload a image and share link here.

(@cabinfever04)

Ok Laliz, I have uploaded a new image to media library. Url is:
    http://www.UnconventionalEquestrian.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Fast-Horses.jpg

(@cabinfever04)

any other suggestions as to where to look for the source of the 404 error?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘404 error when updating posts or pages with images’ is closed to new replies.