• Hello All,

I was tinkering with options on the dashboard earlier, and I’ve managed to change something, possible the site address, resulting in me no longer being able to access the dashboard, and instead seeing a lovely 404 error.

My site has also changed, http://www.rachelbarkley.co.uk/ – as you can imagine, that is not how it was designed to look!

What I’m seeing when I try to log into the dashboard (using the same method and details that worked previously) I’m seeing that page, but with a 404 error at the top.

Does anyone know what I’ve done, or more importantly how on earth I can fix it?

I’m very grateful! Thank you.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Thread Starter rachbark

(@rachbark)

I found something suggesting I follow the following guide from number 4 (http://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_WordPress_Its_Own_Directory#Using_a_pre-existing_subdirectory_install)

This has worried me slightly, I feel I’m a little out of my depth. Can anyone simplify it at all. I have to apologise for my lack of know how here!

Wait for someone here to help you rather than trying something you do not already know will work. I have never had that 404 error, but your site looks to me like something I once had from a theme problem. If you have FTP access and you are not running a default WordPress Twenty Ten, Eleven, Twelve or Thirteen theme, it would be harmless to go in via FTP and download a backup of your current theme (if you do not already have one), then delete it there to force activation of a default theme (assuming you have one or more there) to see whether that might change anything. Also, and whenever a plugin problem might be suspected, it is safe to rename your plugins folder to something like plugouts to de-activate all of them to see what difference that might make. But that re-install link you posted scares me a bit here!

What have you changed in the settings ?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘404 error when trying to access dashboard – what have I done??!’ is closed to new replies.