• Resolved johk

(@johk)

Hi,

I have created a new install of WordPress and done no changes to it. Downloading and installing the plugin All In One WP Security & Firewall – when activating the plugin I get a 404 error. I have no problem activating under plugins.
    I am on a shared host. The htaccess is as per default.
    I am really puzzled as I have used the plugin on other site in a shared hosting solution.

Should mention I currently run PHP 7.1.
    Have tried to activate the plugin with other PHP version but the same issue ie 404 error when activating

This is the URL when activating wp-admin/plugins.php?_wpnonce=8b70e8ef16&action=activate&plugin=all-in-one-wp-security-and-firewall/wp-security.php

Any suggestions on where to start looking for the issue.
    Could it be the hosting envirment? If that is the case what could be the issue?

I have read the below thread but I belive this is not my issue
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/404-error-when-activate-plugin/#post-10235241

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you
    JH

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Plugin Contributor mbrsolution

(@mbrsolution)

Hi,

I have created a new install of WordPress and done no changes to it. Downloading and installing the plugin All In One WP Security & Firewall – when activating the plugin I get a 404 error. I have no problem activating under plugins.

Can you also confirm that you can install and activate other plugins without receiving the 404 error message? Also did you download the plugin locally to your computer and then uploaded and installed the plugin?

Should mention I currently run PHP 7.1.

I have tested PHP version 7.1 without any issues.

Have tried to activate the plugin with other PHP version but the same issue ie 404 error when activating

What other PHP versions have you tried?

Kind regards

Thread Starter johk

(@johk)

Thanks for getting back to me.
    I have tried PHP version 7.0 & 5.6.
    I have tried both downloading the plugin and aslo installed it from the Admin section. Neither way allows me to activate the plugin.

I just tried installing and activating Yoast and it worked fine.

JH

Plugin Contributor wpsolutions

(@wpsolutions)

Hi,
    Your issue appears similar to this one:
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/404-error-when-activate-plugin/

Please check your .htaccess file and if necessary delete it and re-create a new one by re-saving your permalink settings and then reactivate the aiowps plugin.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by wpsolutions.
    Thread Starter johk

(@johk)

Hi,
    I have re-created my htaccess file
    This is what it is in it

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress

Thanks
    JH

Thread Starter johk

(@johk)

Hi,
    I have been able to install this plugin on other shared hosts but not the current one.

I can for example install and activate the plugin on my localhost running WAMP and upload the site to the shared server – and the plugin will work on the shared server.

For some reason I can not activate the plugin when it has been installed on the site on the shared server.

JH

(@wpsolutions)

Hi,
    I think you should ask your host support people to help you troubleshoot the issue with your web server. They should be able locate any relevant logs and information which might explain why you are seeing the current behaviour.

Thread Starter johk

(@johk)

Thanks I will do.
    Do you know what might casue the issue on the server or are there any settings in particular that might culprit.

JH

Plugin Contributor mbrsolution

(@mbrsolution)

Hi, please let us know what your host says about this issue. This could also help others with a similar issue.

Thank you

(@wpsolutions)

Do you know what might casue the issue on the server or are there any settings in particular that might culprit

I initially thought that maybe a corrupt .htaccess could be your issue but you said that you recreated a new one and that didin’t fix it. Therefore I’m not really sure what the cause is.
    You said earlier that when you saw this issue, you installed the aiowps plugin on a fresh “new install of WordPress and done no changes to it” which means that your aiowps settings should all be disabled at that point. Therefore something else on your server is clashing with the aiowps plugin somehow. Hopefully your host support people can help you further.

Thread Starter johk

(@johk)

Hi,
    The issues was that ModSecurity was turned on. ModSecurity can be temporary disabled while activating the plugin. When plugin is activated ModSecurity can be turned back on.
    JH

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘404 Error when activating plugin’ is closed to new replies.