WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

404 error on sub-directory site installed on windows (4 posts)

1. Shelly
    Posted 4 years ago #

I have wordpress installed on our co. server. I setup the network. I can create the sub sites (using sub-directores) but I can not view or backend the sites. The main site is working great but I need to create several other blogs for departments. I have updated the web config file and the .htaccess - I am sure that if is a configuration issue - but I just can not find it.

2. @mercime
    Posted 4 years ago #

Just to clarify - so you installed WP at domain root?

but I can not view or backend the sites.

So if you go to domain.com/site2/wp-admin or domain.com/site2/wp-login.php, you still cannot go to backend? Do the new subsites show up in admin dashboard > Super Admin > Sites? or in dashboard > Dashboard > My Sites?

3. Shelly
    Posted 4 years ago #

I can see the sites listed in the dashboard but if I click on visit then I get the 404 error. I can select edit and edit

main site is blog.haworthinc.com
    subsite - 'shelly' (my test site) is blog.haworthinc.com\shelly

I can see the main site but not the sub site.

If I try http://blog.haworthinc.com/shelly/wp-admin.php i get the 404 error

I can edit the site in supper admin.

4. @mercime
    Posted 4 years ago #

Ok thanks. Now it's clear to me that WP installed in subdomain root with subdirectory structure. The 404 generally happens when your htacceess file is not read or there is an error in the upgrade to multisite.

Is your htaccess file located at root of your subdomain installation? It should be. If it is, then please post content of your htaccess file here.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic