• Resolved tophiebearrr

(@tophiebearrr)

I have created a nav menu (not exactly how I want it, but thats in another post)

My issue is that when clicking any of the menus besides home, the page displays 404 error instead of all the posts in that category? I had a look at the .htaccess file upon trying to solve the problem myself, but it doesnt seem to be fixed. Any help would be appreciated.

the site is at smattering.com.au

Thanks

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The first thing I’d suggest is to try flushing your permalinks. In the admin panel go to Settings > Permalinks and hit save changes. Does that fix the issue?

Thread Starter tophiebearrr

(@tophiebearrr)

yes that did solve the 404 issue actually, thank you! was wondering now, if you go and have a look, youll see that when you choose an option it now give the type of category that the posts are, however my widget on the left overlaps the category name.

how should I go about fixing this?

(@tophiebearrr)

and also if anyone know, the text goes along the lines of

Category Archives: (CATEGORY NAME HERE)

how do I remove the “Category Archives:” part of the display so that it only says the category name?

also, Thanks Shellbot for the assistance with the permalinks, I really appreciate it 🙂

For the first problem, try this in your CSS:

.archive-title {
      padding: 30px 0 30px 340px;
    }

You can find the “category archives” text in category.php.

If you’re making changes to your theme then you’re best off looking at creating a child theme. This way your changes won’t be lost when the base theme upgrades.

Oh, and you’re very welcome 🙂

(@tophiebearrr)

I was able to remove the unwanted text, but I still cant seem to get the text to move to the right so that it isnt behind the widget.

and Ill look at making a child theme, I had a brief look before but decided to play with the theme files, not thinking about upgrades.

You might need to be more specific with the CSS, depending where you’re putting it and what else is already affecting it. Or try adding !important immediately after the 340px and before the ;

It sounds like a hassle but making a child theme is actually very quick and easy and it’ll save you a lot of headaches in future.

(@tophiebearrr)

That did the trick kind of. I added text align: center to move the text that was hidden, so fixed the issue that way. thanks for all the help!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘404 error on new menus rather than posts in category’ is closed to new replies.