Support » Plugin: The Events Calendar » 404 error on event details

• Resolved Arnis Arbidans

(@arnisarbidans)

Hi.

I have The Event Calendar Version 3.8.1 (free edition) installed on WP 4.0 in uDesign theme.

Calendar website/training-calendar/ works fine
    Calendar category website/training-calendar/category/category-name/ works fine
    Calendar Date website/training-calendar/2014-11-26/ (or any other) works fine
    BUT
    Calendar Event Details website/training-calendar/single-post-name/ gives me Page not found Error 404
    Calendar here
    I can’t make sense of this error. Any solution for this issue?

https://wordpress.org/plugins/the-events-calendar/

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Plugin Contributor leahkoerper

(@leahkoerper)

Hi arnis.arbidans,

Thanks for getting in touch. I’m sorry you’re running into the Page Not Found message. Please check out our Guide to troubleshooting 404 errors and try following the steps there. If you are still having trouble, let us know here and we will do our best to help you troubleshoot further.

Best,
    Leah

Thread Starter Arnis Arbidans

(@arnisarbidans)

Hi Leah,

Thank you for your answer.
    I have copy of the same installation on test server and I do not get 404 there.

Test server Debug
    PHP 5.4.34
    MySQL 5.5.40
    Request:
    training-calendar/opito-approved-basic-h2s-trainingh2s-plus-13
    Query String:
    tribe_events=opito-approved-basic-h2s-trainingh2s-plus-13&post_type=tribe_events&name=opito-approved-basic-h2s-trainingh2s-plus-13
    Matched Rewrite Rule:
    training-calendar/([^/]+)(/[0-9]+)?/?$
    Matched Rewrite Query:
    tribe_events=opito-approved-basic-h2s-trainingh2s-plus-13&page=

====================================================

Actual server debug
    PHP 5.4.28
    MySQL 5.5.37
    Request:
    training-calendar/opito-approved-basic-h2s-trainingh2s-plus-13
    Query String:
    attachment=opito-approved-basic-h2s-trainingh2s-plus-13
    Matched Rewrite Rule:
    [^/]+/([^/]+)/?$
    Matched Rewrite Query:
    attachment=opito-approved-basic-h2s-trainingh2s-plus-13

Also there may be some differences Read/Write/Execute file/folder permissions, are there any specific needs for this plugin to run?

Best regards,
    Arnis

Brook

(@brook-tribe)

Howdy Arnis,

There is currently a bug in TEC where it does not flush rewrite upon activation or deactivation. This now results in something like 99% of the 404 errors I have seen, and I am the one who penned that tutorial.

However, this can easily be remedied. The first steps of that 404 tutorial walk you through flushing permalinks. If you are 100 percent sure that you have followed those steps then let us try one more thing. Go to WP Admin > Events > Settings, and change the single event and archive permalinks. Usually these are “event” and “events” respecitvely. Make sure that they are different (i.e. both should not be “events”), and add -test after them. Now instead of simply clicking flushing permalinks as outlined in that tutorial, change the permalinks. Verify that the change has taken place on the front end. Maybe add /test/ to the beginning of them or something, and confirm that those are now the proper URLs on the front end. Furthermore, go to your events pages and confirm that they are now /events-test/. Do singles work now? If not, what is their URL?

We hope to fix the bug here soon. It will crop up anytime you active or deactivate a plugin, which is a pain. At least the fix is usually easy, just a simple permalink flush. Cheers!

– Brook

Brook

(@brook-tribe)

Howdy again arnis,

I am curious if you got this fixed? On my second review oof this thread I noticed a commonality between this and an issue I saw 8 months ago:

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/404-on-single-events-with-pretty-permalinks?replies=24

It is a very strange problem, but the fix is quite simple. Paste this in your functions.php:

https://gist.github.com/elimn/877bc90421526d22900b

Did that work for you? Please give us an update if you can, I want to nail this down if possible.

Cheers!

– Brook

(@arnisarbidans)

Hi Brook.

Thank you for great support

I fixed it by changing the magic number ’10’ in add_action( ‘init’, array( $this, ‘init’), 10 ); in lib/the-events-calendar.class.php to a lower one, and behold, single events started to work again.

BTW adding those lines you suggested to functions.php just crashed entire website.

Thank you.
    Arnis

Also have been receiving the same message upon trying to view the details of event. View Calendar works fine. Tried to set the permalinks to another option, then save and then back again to original setting of “Post name”. Only way I have been able to make it work is be selecting the default permalink setting.

Hi Brook!

I’m only getting 404’s in WMT for days that do NOT have events. How do I fix this?

Thanks!

Brook

(@brook-tribe)

Arnis, I am glad to hear that worked! I am sorry this crashed your site:

> BTW adding those lines you suggested to functions.php just crashed entire website.

It is working fine for me. Perhaps there was a duplicate opening php tag? That could crash the site. Whatever the case, you’ve got it working now which makes me very happy.

lstoudenmire, have you seen this guide: Troubleshooting 404 Page Not Found errors It is very helpful for errors like this. If pasting that snippet linked earlier in the thread did not help, perhaps you should open a new topic so we can address your problem specifically?

Lisa, are you seeing an error message like “There are no events for this day” alongside an HTTP 404, or are you just seeing a 404 template? If if’s a generic 404 template you should try this guide: Test For Conflicts Also, would you mind opening a new topic as well? It helps to have one topic per issue that way each issue has the viewer’s full attention, and we don’t spam other folks inboxes once they’ve found a solution.

Thanks guys.

– Brook

Hey Brook,

I purchased the pro version so I’ll continue with you over at the Events Calendar support forum, but I’m just getting them in Webmaster Tools, not an actual 404 page on the site –
    They are these:
    “There are no events for this day” which don’t have the no index meta tag, and I thought they were supposed to.

I’m going to go through all this again https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/testing-for-conflicts/ and follow up with you.

@ Arnis

Thank you for your tip, this solved my issue.

Brook

(@brook-tribe)

Cool. Were you having trouble with that snippet as well sintmarco? Did you end up using but modifying it?

– Brook

I am a PRO user and had the same issue. I found that I had to update my WordPress to the latest version to fix this issue. If you do not want to upgrade your wordpress, the 3.8.1 version of this plugin worked for me with my old wordpress version. Hope this helps someone else.

Hi: Just wanted to update that I installed the latest version of 3.9.1 and it appears to have resolved the issue with the 404 Error I was having. Looking forward to implementing the plugin further. Thanks.

Brook

(@brook-tribe)

Thanks for the update and sharind your solution. That is interesting that an update fixed it for both of you. We did not make any relevant changes in 3.9.1. Updating would flush your permalinks. But perhaps some other magic is at play as well. I will keep an eye out for this in the future. Thanks again!

– Brook

(@arnisarbidans)

Hi everyone,

After update 3.9.1 I still got the same 404 ERROR as before so I just changed the “magic number” once again and voalá running nicely again.

-Arnis

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘404 error on event details’ is closed to new replies.