• Resolved foursides

(@foursides)

I have tried a few times to get the Linkmarklet bookmarklet working, but it doesn’t seem to be working with Safari or Chrome. It displays the pop-up window and then loads my blog showing a 404 page.

I have tried the bookmarlet, the webpage and bookmarked it, installed each and then restarted the browser. Not sure what else to look at.

I’m on Version 0.5 of the plugin and 3.5 for WordPress.

Thanks.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/linkmarklet/

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Plugin Author Jon Christopher

(@jchristopher)

Sorry you’re having a bit of trouble! Just to confirm, you dragged the top link to your bookmarks bar, right?

http://d.pr/i/UU2N

The second one is to be used on iOS for example where you can’t add a bookmarklet in the traditional way.

Hi Jonathan!

I’m having the same problem. I tried both approaches, dragging the linkmarlet and also bookmarking. Either way, I’m getting a 404 error inside the popup window.

Plugin version 0.5.2 and WP 3.5

I tried the plugin on a site that is on another host (Bluehost) and it worked. The sites where I wasn’t successful are on Hostgator. But because the two hosts are basically identical, I don’t think the host matters in this case.

Perphaps an important factor: I have multiple installations of WordPress on the same domain (in directories, not subdomains; btw, this is not a multisite). Whenever I try the Linkmarklet, it attempts to request the correct URL (linkmarklet plugin location), but the admin bar shows the root site user as logged in, although that user doesn’t exist on the installation I have the Linkmarklet on. Does my explanation make sense?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have been searching far and wide for a plugin like Linkmarklet. Thank you in advance!

EDIT: Actually, the host might matter after all. I tried the plugin on another domain (that has only 1 WP installation and is hosted on the same account as the sites in question) and I’m getting a 404 there, too.

Plugin Author Jon Christopher

(@jchristopher)

Separate installations shouldn’t matter, but that’s really strange it seems to be restricted to a host… hmm… does Press This! work? If you’ve never tried it it’s a bookmarklet you can find in the Tools section of your WP admin. Linkmarklet re-implements those conventions so I’m really curious if that tool fails as well. If you could let me know that’d be a big help!

Just to confirm: it seems like the issue may be with HostGator, right?

(@jchristopher)

Also as I’m re-reading your explanation behind the potential user issue I’m a bit concerned about that too — are you referencing a Multisite installation, or fully separate WordPress installs on the same server?

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, Jonathan! These are separate installations, not a multisite. PressThis doesn’t work either… very strange. What could possibly be the issue?

(@jchristopher)

Very interesting, but actually good that it’s consistent. I would recommend opening a ticket with the host to see why in fact the feature might not be working, perhaps they have some sort of policy surrounding direct access of files within certain WordPress directories?

**EDIT**: After finding this thread and subsequently watching a screencast outlining a “fix” (which isn’t really much of a fix to be honest) I’m thinking HostGator has some sort of security policy with HTTP GET variables that have ‘http://’ in them. Likely a blanket protection method against XSS attacks, but as outlined in this case it prevents some legitimate actions.

I’d suggest opening a ticket with HostGator to see if maybe this implementation can be disabled for your account.

(@jchristopher)

Actually, it looks like there might be something I can do on my end… working on it!

Thanks for the info! If you could make the plugin work around the issue that would be great. Otherwise, what is the particular setting related to HTTP GET (or anything else) that I should be asking Hostgator about?

(@jchristopher)

Alrighty good news, I’m pretty sure version 0.5.3 (now available) will resolve this issue regardless of host. Check it out and let me know!

Perfect, the new version works! Thank you! (I will be posting feature requests separately. Hope it’s ok.)

As I wrote above, the actual act of bookmarking works fine. But, for some reason, my test post got scheduled (not published instantly), although I haven’t touched the scheduling settings and they are all set at 0 (zero). Any ideas?

EDIT: new thread about this issue created here: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/instant-posting-not-working?replies=1#post-3762893

(@jchristopher)

Actually if you could start separate threads (or even better GitHub issues) that would be awesome!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘404 Error’ is closed to new replies.