Support » Fixing WordPress » 404 error

• Resolved MJFayhee

(@mjfayhee)

I just posted a new story in my personal website and everything seemed to be going normally. When I opened my own site to make sure everything was indeed hunky-dory, it wasn’t. The new post, along with every other post that has been on my site for a long time, gets a 404 error. I have no idea what I did to screw this up. Help!

mjohnfayhee.com

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Something happend to your permalinks structure settings. Check your .htaccess and make sure its updated according to your permalinks structure.

Moderator t-p

(@t-p)

– Try resetting your custom permalinks back to the default setting and renaming your WordPress .htaccess file.
    – If that works, then try reading Using_Permalinks before setting a custom permalink structure again.
    – If clearing your Permalinks does not alleviate the issue, this could be attributed to anything from a web server configuration to a bad WordPress install.

Thread Starter MJFayhee

(@mjfayhee)

Damn … though I had never heard of a permalinks structure and had no idea where to hunt it down (or, for that matter, what it even is), hunt it down I did, and by setting it to default mode, it actually worked! I am hereby officially amazed. I thought I would have to pay some web whiz hundreds of dollars that can now be spent on beer! Gracias, HostPuma and Tara.

Moderator t-p

(@t-p)

Glad to hear it 🙂

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘404 error’ is closed to new replies.