• Resolved mariacharmer

(@mariacharmer)

Hi,
    I’m working on a blog for my friend’s band. I did a ‘easy install’ through Mediacatch, his host provider. It has been a nightmare with 404 Errors and such. I did the same with my own site through godaddy and it was incredibly easy. I did another blog customization using yahoo web hosting…also extremely easy. Absolutely no errors.

The issue evidently is that i had to ‘change’ permission on all these php files so that I can edit the css for kubrick. I did putting all of them that I will be working on to 666 as I was instructed by the ‘tech rep’ at Mediacatch (and I read this in the codex here). I also uploaded plugins such as the nextgen and flash player that I found here on WP. Both are activated but neither work.

I also added pages to my blog which it let’s me do but when I click on the page I get this error message:

Not Found

The requested URL /wordpress/gallery/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.5 Server at holloys.com Port 80

I’m not sure what to do. I have never had to go in and do things to the php files or what have you. WP has been so easy to work with through the other host providers that all i’ve had to be concerned with is playing with the css code and configuring the plugins I want to use.

Anyway, enough whining. Mediacatch hosting has been unhelpful so I have to figure this out myself. Hopefully someone here has come across the same issue…anyone know what to do about this error?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • delete the wordpress .htaccess
    test site
    regenerate permalinks
    admin – settings – permalinks

Thread Starter mariacharmer

(@mariacharmer)

“delete the wordpress .htaccess”

would this file be in the wp-admin folder?
    what do you mean by regenerate permalinks?

would this file be in the wp-admin folder?

no – one level up – where wp-config.php is loaded
    if using ftp make sure to set it to “show hidden files”

what do you mean by regenerate permalinks?

go to
    choose and save a permalink structure
    this will generate a new .htaccess and new rewrite rules

(@mariacharmer)

Found it in the root folder…I deleted it. I hope that doesn’t do something terrible to the rest of his files on his server? I’m still pretty new at this stuff so if it’s a really simple thing and seems silly forgive me. 🙂

Should I just reinstall the whole thing?

I said “delete the wordpress .htaccess”
    that would be the one in your wordpress install – if that’s the root…ok

no – don’t reinstall – just go to
    in the wordpress dashboard
    choose and save a permalink structure
    this will generate a new .htaccess and new rewrite rules

(@mariacharmer)

O.K. set the permalink structure to ‘default’. Refreshed and now it seems to be working.
    THANK YOU!!!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘404 Error’ is closed to new replies.