• I am trying to make a simple update to my page and every time I click the update button, this message comes up …

“403 Forbidden

A potentially unsafe operation has been detected in your request to this site, and has been blocked by Wordfence.

If you are an administrator and you are certain this is a false positive, you can automatically whitelist this request and repeat the same action.

I am certain this is a false positive.

Whitelist This Action”

I have clicked the checkbox indicating that I am certain this is a false positive and clicked the button that says “Whitelist This Action.” Once the button is clicked the page says “All set! You can refresh the page to try this action again.”

Once I refresh the page, the error continues to happen.

Is anyone else having this issue?

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordfence/

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Hello sstpierre,
    If you go to Wordfence “Firewall” page does it say that the Firewall is
    Enabled, Learning or Disabled? Are you able to change any settings on this page?

Thread Starter sstpierre

(@sstpierre)

It says it is Enabled. I’ve tried changing it to Learning and when I do a box appears that says the changes have been saved. So I navigated off the plugin page and went back to the actual wordpress page to try and update it. The same error happened again. Then i went back to the Firewall page and it had reverted back to Enabled.

I am experiencing this same behavior. Note that I am on a windows server. I cannot disable the firewall. After updating last week (I think) it has been in learning mode. Now it has switched to Enabled and cannot be disabled.

I get a 403 any time I try to update a post and the option to add to the whitelist does nothing.

I just got the same error warning, and was equally unsuccessful in whitelisting and getting past it. I was editing pages just fine last week so this is a new behaviour.

sstpierre and sookefinearts,
    are you both also on Windows? We have a Windows related bug that causes this exact problem. We do not officially support Windows but due to particular high demand for this issue we have made an exception and we have a fix coming for this in the next release of Wordfence.

Thank you very much for creating a fix. Do you have a timetable for your next release?

rjonessovos I can not give you an exact date but it should be available within a week.

wfasa,
    We are on a Windows server – thanks so much for the exception!

Thread Starter sstpierre

(@sstpierre)

The machine that I use in a Mac run on OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.3. However, the website is hosted on a Windows server.

Alright sstpierre, hopefully this will be fixed for you as well with the next Wordfence update then!

Thread Starter sstpierre

(@sstpierre)

Thank you for your help!! Very much appreciated

Same issue here. I tried enabled, learning and disabled, it happens no matter what.( Windows Server 2012R2 ). I understand Wordfence isn’t supported on Windows Server and my question to that is why not? Feature request: support Windows Server as a platform. I tried convincing my boss to switch to Linux servers when I was hired on but he doesn’t want to change. He says 10 years without a problem why change now?

Hello jbowers0,
    if he says “10 years without a problem why change now?” you could tell him “Because now we have a problem”. πŸ˜‰ Seriously though, if your primary applications are PHP/MySQL-based I can’t think of any reason you would rather run them on Windows.

That we don’t fully support Windows is simply a matter of resources. It is one more platform (with various amounts of settings) we have to test for every change we make to the code. Your request has been noted though. Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for a response to our request. PHP/MySQL are actually a minor portion of our business model. Our primary business is actually ASP.NET/C# with MS-SQL development and hosting. He basically doesn’t see the need to host the WordPress sites on a different server. I understand your position as well, actually hosting WP sites on IIS is easy but when something comes up it adds complexity to research and resolution because the community is so Unix/Linux driven.

I understand jbowers0. I think many people develop locally on Windows but you don’t need Wordfence on a machine that’s not accessible from the internet of course. Might be an idea though, to keep a local copy and always update it first as a test. I do that myself.

We added a fix for installation issues with Web Application Firewall on Windows with Wordfence 6.1.5 (the latest release). Did that help you at all?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘403 Forbidden when updating a page’ is closed to new replies.