• Resolved Steve B

(@expatphilippinesbacolodnews)

403 Forbidden. WHAT? Why am I seeing this? is the message I get when trying to view certain websites including Elegant Themes blog but NOT my account.

It appears my home IP address is on a blacklist. I have no clue why but Elegant Themes support tell me it is.

I have also been experiencing a 500 error then a ReCaptcha page when trying to login to my own WordPress WP Admin.

How do I get my IP address whitelisted or removed from the blacklist other than contacting my ISP?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Plugin Support WFAdam

(@wfadam)

Hello @expatphilippinesbacolodnews and thanks for reaching out to us!

A 403 error usually points at the Firewall that is causing the block. Is the 403 a branded Wordfence block page or what details can you provide about it?

Can you send a diagnostic report to wftest @ wordfence . com? You can find the link to do so at the top of the Wordfence Tools > Diagnostics page. Then click on “Send Report by Email”. Please add your forum username where indicated and respond here after you have sent it.

Thanks!

Thread Starter Steve B

Thanks, but I can’t find the link you mention after checking the whole of that page here:

here it is.

Thread Starter Steve B

Never mind. I have found out my home IP address is blacklisted through no fault of mine. It was BL in 2019 before it was assigned to me by my ISP. I am reaching out to my ISP to either have the BL removed or assign me a new IP address.

I would also add the problem has gone away since I deactivated the Anti-Spam Clean Talk plugin on my WordPress websites.

Plugin Support WFAdam

(@wfadam)

Thanks for letting us know!

It sounds like your IP might have been on a blocklist like you mentioned.

As for the Anti-Spam plugin, I haven’t seen anyone else mention that issue before. It was causing a 500 error? Have you reached out to their support at all yet?

Thanks again for the information!

Thread Starter Steve B

It is confirmed it’s on a blocklist from a previous user well before the IP address was assigned to me by my ISP.

Funnily enough, my ISP is about to install a free fiber upgrade with a new router and thus new IP address. I will check to see if that is blocked before they leave 🙂

As for the plugin, I read a thread on their support forum from someone with the same experience as me. They simply said it wasn’t the plugin but since I deactivated it in all my websites, the problem went away. Go figure!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘403 Forbidden. WHAT? Why am I seeing this?’ is closed to new replies.