• I have been having an issue where customers ordering digital downloads from my site are getting 403 Forbidden errors whenever they try to download their order. I had been running the Wordfence security plugin and I thought that might have been part of the problem. However, even after deactivating Wordfence, the errors still keep coming up.

Is there anything else I should check to diagnose the problem? I have made sure that the files are linked to the right path, etc.

http://wordpress.org/plugins/woocommerce/

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Plugin Author Mike Jolley (a11n)

(@mikejolley)

Look for .htaccess files in your root or wp-content and child directories – there may be one blocking access.

Thread Starter Eric Karkovack

(@karks88)

Thanks! The .htaccess inside my /woocommerce_uploads/ folder just says “deny from all”. Could that be it?

(@karks88)

Just an update, deleting that .htaccess file works, but then leaves the digital download open to anyone who has the URL. The only other .htaccess file that would effect the download is the one in the root of my site, but nothing there that would seem to do it.

(@karks88)

Unfortunately I’m still having issues with 403 errors on downloads. I’ve even deleted my products and re-entered them into the system, but the errors still persist. Is there anything else I can try? Do I need to wipe the WooCommerce data tables clean?

Did you ever find a solution to this as I’m having the exact same problem, most of the time they work fine, but every now and then a 403 error is thrown up and I’m completely at a loss as to why this is happening.

ETA: It’s also saying the download limit has been reached, even though they’ve been unable to download it.

(@karks88)

@theshaman – Unfortunately I had to end up switching to another cart. Not sure if it’s relevant to your situation, but I always suspected that the fact I was using Wordfence security with the site may have led to some sort of conflict. Even so, uninstalling Wordfence didn’t appear to help.

Weird thing is my site ran great for several months. Then, all of the sudden, just about every order was coming up with a 403 error.

Thanks for the reply, and after I posted, I did start thinking if the All In One WP Security plugin it uses was causing the conflict but I’m not 100% sure, it’s very strange as it only does every now and then, fingers crossed/touch wood and all that it doesn’t start doing it on every order.

And if anyone has found a fix for this, please do post here

(@karks88)

I have to think there is just something that, even when you deactivate the plugins, is still sitting in the database that causes this problem. It would be great to find a way to make security plugins play nice with WooCommerce!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘403 Forbidden Errors on Digital Downloads’ is closed to new replies.