Support » Plugin: BulletProof Security » 403 Forbidden Error Page If you arrived here due to a search or clicking on …

• Resolved wtwp

(@wtwp)

Hi,
    I logged in to my site perfectly ok last week. However, yesterday I was unable to do so. Instead I received the following error msg:

403 Forbidden Error Page If you arrived here due to a search or clicking on a link click your Browser’s back button to return to the previous page. Thank you. IP Address: 147…

Having read and tried similar problems and solutions on the forum, I’m still unable to login.
    Pls let me know what I’m doing wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS. plugins up-to-date as of Dec. 3rd 2016.

• This topic was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by  wtwp.
    • This topic was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by  wtwp.
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Plugin Author AITpro

(@aitpro)

https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-free/#bps-free-general-troubleshooting

htaccess File Troubleshooting Steps: Unable to Login to Your Website:
    1. Use FTP or your Web Host Control Panel File Manager and delete the .htaccess file in your website root folder and the .htaccess file in your wp-admin folder. If you do not see the root and wp-admin htaccess files then select “Show Hidden Files” in your FTP application or in your web host control panel file manager.
    See Custom Code Note
    2. Log into your website and Activate all BulletProof Modes.

Custom Code Note: If you have isolated a problem to the root or wp-admin .htaccess file and you have added additional custom .htaccess code or additional .htaccess code from another plugin to BPS Custom Code then you can either use the Custom Code Export|Import|Delete Tools or manually cut (not Copy) all of your additional custom .htaccess code out of all BPS Custom Code text boxes and save that custom .htaccess code to a Notepad or Notepad++ text file, click the Save Root Custom Code button (or the wp-admin Custom Code button), go to the BPS Security Modes page and click the Root Folder BulletProof Mode Activate button (and/or the wp-admin Folder BulletProof Mode Activate button). You can then further isolate which custom .htaccess code is the problem by adding only 1 block of additional custom code back to a BPS Custom Code text box at a time.

Thank you for your response.
    I have a couple of issues:

1. I have many websites hosted with the the host provider. Do I delete the .htaccess on the root as in: /public_html/.htaccess and on individual wp-admin website?
    2. I’m new to the bluehost because I’ve just transferred to them. I can’t see the .htaccess and there is no option to select “Show Hidden Files”. Clicking on file manager takes you straight to the files.

Does anyone know how to “Show Hidden Files” in file manager (bluehost) before I raise a ticket with them pls?
    Thank you 🙂

Plugin Author AITpro

(@aitpro)

I believe a host control panel file manager will already show hidden files by default. So if you are not seeing a /public_html/.htaccess file then it does not exist. Check this folder for this file and delete it: /wp-admin/.htaccess

Plugin Author AITpro

(@aitpro)

Also the BPS Root htaccess file is created in the folder where WordPress is installed/your website folder. Example: If your WordPress site is installed in a folder named: /websiteA.com/ then a BPS Root htaccess file will be created in the website root folder: /websiteA.com/.htaccess and a BPS wp-admin htaccess file will be created in this folder: /websiteA.com/wp-admin/.htaccess

I found /public_html/.htaccess by searching for .htaccess but the folder is more or less empty. The only input there is google analytics.
    I have deleted the /websiteA.com/wp-admin/.htaccess, but still having the same error msg.

Plugin Author AITpro

(@aitpro)

Ok well it’s likely that the 403 error is being caused by something else and not BPS htaccess files then. Clear your Browser Cache, check your site and see if that does anything. Try renaming your WordPress /plugins/ folder to /_plugins/ and check your site. If neither of these things work then you will need to contact your host and have them check your website and your host server. It is possible that something on your host server itself is causing the 403 error.

Plugin Author AITpro

(@aitpro)

I thought of another way to at least see if the logged 403 error has any clues. BPS logs all 403 errors whether or not the 403 error is related to or caused by BPS. Download this file here: /wp-content/bps-backup/logs/http_error_log.txt and post 1 of the 403 errors so I can take a look at it.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by  AITpro.

Ok, thanks.
    I deleted these 2 files:

1. /websiteA.com/.htaccess
    2. /websiteA.com/wp-admin/.htaccess

The login error I’m getting now is:

404 Error File Not Found. The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

I should’ve renamed them rather than delete them.
    I think I will have to contact bluehost support to see what’s happening.

Plugin Author AITpro

(@aitpro)

Try uploading a standard/default WordPress htaccess file. You can get that file here: /bulletproof-security/admin/htaccess/default.htaccess. Upload the default.htaccess to your website root folder and then rename the file to .htaccess.

Plugin Author AITpro

(@aitpro)

If you are doing anything like using a plugin to hide your WordPress login page, plugin that is customizing your login page or using a membership plugin that does anything with your login page then you will need to rename those plugin folders. The logic is that something else you have installed is using htaccess code to do something and since that htaccess code does not exist in your root htaccess file then that could be why you are seeing errors.

Bluehost seems to be carrying out some maintenance, so unable to contact or access the site.
    Will do something tomorrow.
    Thanks.

Plugin Author AITpro

(@aitpro)

Hmm maybe that is the cause of the original problem. 😉

Plugin Author AITpro

(@aitpro)

Is the issue/problem still occurring or is it resolved?

Sorry for the silence, I’m now, as of this minute, working with the host to resolve it.
    Will let you know if it’s fully resolved.

Hi,
    This has now been resolved.
    I renamed the plugins (via cpanel/file manager). Then logon to site via wp admin (before enabling plugins again) to change the IP address on .htaccess on bps.
    Since my new ip is now registered, I have no further problem logging in to any of the sites.

Bluehost support had no clue it was bps causing the issue, because they disabled w3 cache instead and that didn’t resolve it.

Thanks for your advice.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘403 Forbidden Error Page If you arrived here due to a search or clicking on …’ is closed to new replies.