• Resolved Garret0102

(@garret0102)

So this morning I tried logging into my wp site source1blog.com and was met with a 404 redirect stating the page i’m looking for doesn’t exist. I disabled plugins and was able to login but could not update wp or access the themes or plugins tabs.

I then created a backup of my database using phpmyadmin
    I then created a backup of my wp files using winscp

I tried installing a fresh version of wordpress and importing the database and content folder.

Was met with the following error:

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Thinking i screwed something up i undid all my changes,(dropped the database, imported from backup, deleted wordpress files via ftp, reupload backup wordpress files via ftp)

I hoped this would bring me back to where i started with the 404 error but instead i am still getting a 403 forbidden error now.

I’m at a loss as to what to try next. any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Moderator t-p

(@t-p)

403 forbidden means that your browser isn’t able to load the scripts up because your server isn’t allowing it. This is a hard one to solve. Because anything could be blocking the server.
    – Most likely this is a server permissions/ownership issue, so ask your host what’s going on
    – check your .htaccess files for anything strange.
    – make sure all the WordPress files are there and correct.

Thread Starter Garret0102

(@garret0102)

Thank you Tara for your suggestions. I had tried contacting my host several times before posting with no luck.

Fortunately i got in contact with Arvixe support today and they were able to solve the 403 error by running a permissions script.

Moderator t-p

(@t-p)

Glad to know it 🙂

if you are getting this problem there you can take 3 step
    1. disable All security plugin
    Working ..
    if not working next ..
    2. use this on your .htaccess
    # Stop Apache from serving .ht* files
    <Files ~ “^\.ht”>
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
    </Files>

# Protect wp-login
    <Files wp-login.php>
    AuthUserFile ~/.htpasswd
    AuthName “Private access”
    AuthType Basic
    require user mysecretuser
    </Files>

working ……..
    if it`s not working
    3. Cline your .htaccess make it blank and check wp-admin

I did exactly the same thing, managed to fix it about 2 minutes. All you need to do is delete the admin folder using ftp and re-upload from your backup (surely you do this?).
    Now you can access your admin panel.

Hope this helps someone.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘403 Forbidden Error – Can't access website or login’ is closed to new replies.