Support » Plugin: Breadcrumb NavXT » 403 error when I click save and ‘home’ text doesn’t display

• Resolved ceedee123

(@ceedee123)

I’m not sure how to get help with a website that’s in development. For privacy reasons I can’t make my site live just yet.

I’m new to your plugin and activated it today. I tried making some simple changes like selecting the pages I want for the breadcrumbs and changing the HTML character code for the separator. Clicked save and I immediately got a 403 error page that says WordFence has detected a potentially unsafe operation. I was given the option to whitelist the operation and continue on with my work or go back and try to resolve the problem. It’s not something that should be happening, so I didn’t whitelist it.

No clue what the problem is when I didn’t do anything but very easy steps, and only a few to get my feet wet with this plugin. So I deleted it and reinstalled, and the same darn thing happens again: a 403 error.

I’m using the latest version of Safari, an up to date OS and can’t seem to get your plugin to work without errors. Any idea what’s going on? Thank you.

• This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by  ceedee123.
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • To clarify, the home text doesn’t show up at all on the homepage where I have the most current blog post and a genesis grid loop at the bottom. Nor does it show up anywhere else.

Instead the inspector tool shows a thin line that pushes the content down on the homepage where the breadcrumb should be displaying and a commented out text from the plugin. On all pages where I want breadcrumbs it’s the same thing: the home link and text don’t show up.

Plugin Author John Havlik

(@mtekk)

Does WordFence provide any information as to what the action was that it did not like? Can you share that information? Are you running this test site with WP_DEBUG enabled? If so, are you getting any PHP Errors, Warnings, or Notices? Please note that I am not familiar with WordFence (other than it exists), so I may ask seemingly silly questions regarding it.

Breadcrumb NavXT does not need its settings to be modified to work, it just needs to be called. It sounds like you are able to call it, but it is not returning any breadcrumbs (hence seeing only the Breadcrumb NavXT version HTML comment). Typically this is due to WordPress’ $wp_query global being in an unexpected state. Relative to the main loop (where the blog post shows up) and the genesis grid loop, where are you trying to call the breadcrumb trail (above both, between, below both, somewhere else)?

I added some code to my functions file to accomplish what I’m wanting: ‘Home page’ at the top of the home page, right above my most current full-content blog post. Below that are some genesis grid excerpts. Click to the next page, and it says ‘Home page’ at the top. Nothing I’ve done overrides this. I’m not on the home page anymore; I’m on page two of the archives now, and that’s what I want it to say.

Since I can’t figure out how to code that, I deleted the functions and installed your plugin. Before making any changes, I checked my website. The word ‘Home’ doesn’t show up. The arrow symbol does, but it’s blank where it should say ‘Home.’ It’s the same on all pages. No ‘Home’ text or a link.

It’s when I make a change and save it that I get the error message, generated by WordFence. I have a screenshot. It says a potentially unsafe operation has been detected in my operation to the website (my website). As the site administrator, if I feel it’s a false positive, I can whitelist the action and proceed.

But I won’t do that, because I don’t understand what happened. There’s an error of some kind that could create other problems. So I uninstalled the plugin. I tried again and the same thing happened. If your plugin is able to let me change the breadcrumb text for the second and successive pages once I click from the home page, that’d be great. I’d like to figure out how to get this working.

Thank you.

The error message doesn’t drop any hints as to what may have gone wrong.

(@mtekk)

The good news it after installing WordFence on my testbed, I am seeing the very unhelpful 403 error. I’ll see what it’s actually complaining about (likely a false positive/it doesn’t know what it’s doing).

I wasn’t expecting that, thank you so much. You asked about WP-DeBug. I’m not using that on my website.

(@mtekk)

If you’re developing a site, while in development WP_DEBUG should be set to true. It should be set to false on live sites, but during development it will greatly enhance your chances of debugging problems.

Looking more into the WordFence thing, apparently, you’re supposed to run it in “Learning Mode” for a while after installing a new plugin. As to the actual items that get white-listed on the Breadcrumb NavXT settings page (when pressing the whitelist button), it appears that all settings that can contain HTML trigger something in WordFence. This is definitely a false trigger given these settings are passed through the appropriate sanitization functions before reaching the database. Unfortunately, WordFence is anything but transparent as to what is going on there (this is my first time using WordFence and I can not say that I am impressed).

I changed the firewall setting to learning mode, reinstalled your plugin, and I’m no longer getting an error message. Thank you!!

But ‘Home’ still isn’t showing up. I made no changes. This was a fresh install, and this happened the very first time, too. Remove the plugin and ‘You are here: Home’ displays on the home page, and a ‘Home’ link shows up in all breadcrumbs.

Since I didn’t make any changes, I don’t know how to fix this. Any suggestions why this is happening?

Something new just happened:

I checked the ‘Link current item’ and ‘Paged breadcrumb’ boxes to see what it does. I’m wanting page numbers when I click to the next page of genesis grid excerpts, and it does that beautifully. So very nice!

But at first it wasn’t working. Instead of showing one full-content post on the homepage and four excerpts below that, it only showed the full-content post. And only one full-content post on the next page, and then the next. It somehow didn’t register the change I made and altered the format.

So I refreshed my website one more time and it suddenly returned to normal with the page number at the top as it should be. I’m not sure why that happened, but I’m glad it seemed to fix itself. I’m just concerned that it could happen again once the site goes live.

The home template box was checked when I installed the plugin. But the blog template boxes, although checked, are dulled out. I can’t interact with them. Could this be the problem?

I’m using Genesis and a StudioPress theme (eleven40 Pro). The structure should be the same on all of their themes.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time on this, but honestly I can’t make sense of how to customize your plugin. It’s rather complicated and I can’t find any simple explanation in layman’s terms.

I’d like to resolve the missing home link problem.

And I’d also like to only display a ‘Return to homepage’ link on my contact page and other pages. But I’m looking at the code and don’t know what can safely be removed and can’t figure out whether I can simply delete and replace what’s there.

The documentation is written for coders. I’ve dabbled in code but I don’t understand the descriptions. So many of them seem to be saying the same thing.

The only thing I couldn’t figure out on my own was creating a function that adds page numbers. Your plugin does this, but I’m stuck on doing anything else.

(@mtekk)

But at first it wasn’t working. Instead of showing one full-content post on the homepage and four excerpts below that, it only showed the full-content post. And only one full-content post on the next page, and then the next. It somehow didn’t register the change I made and altered the format.

So I refreshed my website one more time and it suddenly returned to normal with the page number at the top as it should be. I’m not sure why that happened, but I’m glad it seemed to fix itself. I’m just concerned that it could happen again once the site goes live.

Much of this does not sound like the doing of Breadcrumb NavXT. When you enable the paged breadcrumb, you will get another breadcrumb added to the trail when not on the first page of an archive (or other paged item), and the preceding breadcrumb will be linked to the first page of the paged item. It should not affect what is displayed on the page beyond the breadcrumb trail. The behavior you are describing sounds like a caching issue.

The home template box was checked when I installed the plugin. But the blog template boxes, although checked, are dulled out. I can’t interact with them. Could this be the problem?

The dulled out options are disabled due to the current value of other options, either within Breadcrumb NavXT, or within WordPress itself. In this case, you do not have a static page set for your homepage and posts page so the blog breadcrumb doesn’t make sense for your setup.

I’d like to resolve the missing home link problem.

Have you looked at the HTML being generated? It sounds like something may be there, but the title is missing (e.g. there this an anchor with a href, but the text is blank). To have the home breadcrumb display “Home”, replace %title% and %htitle% in the home breadcrumb templates with Home. By default, the site title is used, replacing %title% and %htitle% will allow you to display exactly what you want for the Home breadcrumb.

And I’d also like to only display a ‘Return to homepage’ link on my contact page and other pages. But I’m looking at the code and don’t know what can safely be removed and can’t figure out whether I can simply delete and replace what’s there.

I’m not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish here. Do you just want a breadcrumb trail on your pages? Do you literally only want to show “Return to homepage” instead of a breadcrumb trail on those pages? Or, do you want to do something else?

The documentation is written for coders. I’ve dabbled in code but I don’t understand the descriptions. So many of them seem to be saying the same thing.

The actual documentation is targeted towards developers as they are the ones that will run into situations where the settings page will not do everything they need. These situations will absolutely need code. As for the descriptions of the options is the settings page, many may seem repetitive because there is a pattern in the settings. Every item type (post type, taxonomy/archive) will have a linked and unlinked breadcrumb template. Additionally, some post types will have additional options available regarding the hierarchy for that post type.

Thank you for hanging in there with me!

I clicked a post title and took a look at the code on the permalink page. It looks like this, but with the actual names filled in:

| Category name | Blog post title

Like you said, the home link shows up in the HTML. I do see $0 right after the link and just before the span property. I don’t see it anywhere else.

I decided to uncheck the box for displaying the ‘home’ breadcrumb, and sure enough the separator that displays after the invisible/non-displaying ‘home’ link disappeared.

And I noticed that with the ‘Home’ text and link disabled, I’m seeing $0 in the HTML for all breadcrumbs. Why would ‘Home’ be disabled, though? Or is the plugin not seeing a page name for the homepage?

When I replaced htitle with ‘Homepage’ in the home box, as you suggested, the link now shows up everywhere but on the front page of my website. It’s a stylistic thing; I’d like it to display there. Just the word ‘Homepage’ and nothing else. The HTML is there, but the breadcrumb isn’t displaying.

As for my about, contact, and other pages, I don’t need a breadcrumb trail. But I do want a Homepage link, and ideally I’d like custom text that says ‘Return to homepage.’

Ha … problem resolved!

1) The 403 error wasn’t really an error. It had something to do with the WordFence plugin. When I set the firewall to learning mode, I was able to make changes without triggering a WordFence error message.

2) The format for changing the breadcrumb text was confusing because I was unfamiliar with the code. But you helped me understand how to alter this so the text displays exactly how I’d like it to.

3) For some reason the homepage title wasn’t being grabbed or recognized by your plugin. It just now occurred to me that maybe it’s trying to take the site title from functions.php. If so, I’m using a function with HTML so that I can change the color of certain letters in my site’s name. It wouldn’t know what to grab because it’s broken up into a couple different pieces.

Thanks so much for your help. None of these problems had anything to do with your plugin!!

(@mtekk)

Glad to hear you were able to resolve the problem you were experiencing!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.