• Resolved Gone Away

(@rossahall)

Bit a problem with a site generating 403 errors when adding or updating posts.

This ONLY occurs when text is formatted in the editor. For example, I can post “Hello World” quite happily, but if I decide to make it bold (by clicking the B, no fancy HTML tags) when I submit the post I get a 403 Error – on wp-post.php. Same thing happens if I tab from Visual to Text and amend the HTML by hand.

It also happens whether I update an old post or create a brand new one.

I’ve run a number of debugs (deleted .htaccess, checked permissions, repaired database and tested with 2014 templates, checked correct posting after manual insertion of tags into database, reinstalled WordPress onto my hosted server) but all to no avail.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

• This topic was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Gone Away. Reason: Missed Wordpress version
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You didn’t mention whether you had tried deactivating all plugins to see if this resolves the problem. Or resetting the plugins folder by FTP or PhpMyAdmin.

Have you discussed these issues with your hosts? Since you’re essentially getting a “Forbidden” error, it could be due to an issue with the server’s configuration. Maybe something new added to their mod_security rules, perhaps?

Thread Starter Gone Away

(@rossahall)

Sorry, checked the plugins and that’s all cleared.

Having a word with the host!

Thread Starter Gone Away

(@rossahall)

It was a mod_security rule that was put in place by the host. All cleared and sorted once I’d confirmed I was on a version newer than 4.3

So my fix routine…

deleted .htaccess
    checked permissions on wp_post.php
    repaired database
    tested with “standard” templates
    reinstalled WordPress
    disabled all plugins
    contacted host for mod_security rules update.

Hope this helps someone else.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘403 error when adding formatting’ is closed to new replies.