• Resolved sjhobbs

(@sjhobbs)

I’ve created a wordpress multisite to use as a development server for client websites. Previously I’ve just done standalone installations. Well, my first client dev site keeps giving me 403 forbidden errors when I try to make certain changes, for instance, make the home page a static page instead of the latest post. Also, in the Super Admin panel, when I go to Sites – Edit Site, and try to change anything, I get a 403 error.

My .htaccess file contains just what WP told me to include when I created the multisite. Is this a hosting level problem? Something wrong in my .htaccess file?

Guidance for where to look or what to search for would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Moderator Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)

(@ipstenu)

🏳️‍🌈 Advisor and Activist

Can you share your .htaccess file? This is a common point for people to get messed up on, and it’s easy to do so 🙂

Also, are you using subdomain or subfolder multisite?

Thread Starter sjhobbs

(@sjhobbs)

I’m using subfolders. Here’s what’s in the htaccess:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ – [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-] /)?files/(. ) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-] /)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ – [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-] /)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-] /)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

Thanks!

sjhobbs: are you using your own server? If so, have you enabled mod_rewrite in Apache? Also, double check your Apache config file and make sure you have the Override All setting correct.

Thread Starter sjhobbs

(@sjhobbs)

No, I’m with a hosting company, and it’s shared hosting. So do I need to contact them with this issue? One post I came across implied that, but it wasn’t directly related to my problem, and I wasn’t sure what to ask my hosting company.

Why would this be different in multisite vs a regular wordpress installation? I have numerous standalone wp installs with my hosting company with no problems. Do multisites need different permissions?

Moderator Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)

(@ipstenu)

Are you using Pretty Permalinks on those other sites?

Do multisites need different permissions?

Yes. Per http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network#.htaccess_and_Mod_Rewrite

Unlike Single Site WordPress, which can work with “ugly” Permalinks and thus does not need Mod Rewrite, MultiSite requires its use to format URLs for your subsites. This necessitates the use of an .htaccess file, the format of which will be slightly different if you’re using SubFolders or SubDomains.

Your .htaccess looks fine, so I’d ask your host if mod rewrite is turned on, because it doesn’t seem to be picking up your .htaccess file.

Thread Starter sjhobbs

(@sjhobbs)

Okay, I’ve submitted a helpdesk ticket to hosting support regarding the mod rewrite. Will post here when/if (hopefully when!) the issue is resolved. Thanks for all the help!

Most shared hosting providers will not let you use MultiSite because MultiSite requires specific Apache configurations (mod_rewrite and some Apache config changes), as well as DNS changes (wildcard settings if you use subdomains) that shared hosting providers don’t or can’t provide.

If you want to use MultiSite, it is generally recommended that you get a VPS. That way, you can manage all of the extra details (Apache, DNS, etc.) yourself.

Edited to add: yes, running MultiSite *is* different than running a standalone WordPress install.

(@ipstenu)

You don’t HAVE to get VPS. WordPress Multisite, for smaller setups, is just fine on Shared Hosting, with limitations 🙂

MultiSite requires specific Apache configurations (mod_rewrite and some Apache config changes)

Generally JUST mod rewrite, actually.

DNS changes (wildcard settings if you use subdomains)

Also? NOT a requirement. It makes things easier, but if you can park domains, you can work around it.

Thread Starter sjhobbs

(@sjhobbs)

Fixed!

Here’s the reply from hosting:
    “The issue seems to be with the mod_security turned on for the domain. I have as of now disabled it. Please verify it from your end. 🙂

For your information, mod_rewrite is enable in Apache and as also AllowOveride so that changes made in .htaccess can be taken up by the webserver.”

So far I’ve been able to change the 2 settings that I know gave me the 403 error. As this is going to be a pretty small network of sites, and meant solely for development of client sites that will then move to their own domains, I think shared hosting will be fine.

As I’m not a network admin and have no desire to be, I couldn’t begin to narrow down the issue to even know what to ask. I appreciate the assistance!

(@ipstenu)

OY! Mod_security! My arch nemesis!

No, seriously I love it, but it can be so … damned annoying so many ways. Props to your webhost!

@jhobbs
    Do you mind mentioning your host
    I have had several similiar problems that have not been resolved for the last 3 weeks?

Thread Starter sjhobbs

(@sjhobbs)

Sure, it’s https://www.successfulhosting.com/. Been with them for 8 years and been very happy most of that time. (Had some big problem about 3-4 years ago, but don’t remember what it was about, and it’s been resolved.)

I get a little frustrated with support sometimes because they skim my ticket instead of reading it and tell me some computer 101 thing to do. But I reply back to clarify, and then they’re helpful (well, they’re always helpful, just not always relevant). But yesterday they got it in one, and replied within 20 minutes.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘403 error in new multisite’ is closed to new replies.