Support » Installing WordPress » 403 at step 2 of setup-config

• Hi all,

I admit I’m no expert. But from everything I’ve read, 403 is caused by either a plugin, a bad .htaccess or incorrect permissions. This is a brand new install that is falling over at step 2 of setup-config. So options 1 and 2 shouldn’t be applicable. Thus, leaving incorrect permissions as the only possible option. But upon inspection, they seem to be fine.

Anyone got any ideas? install.php works fine, and step 1 goes fine, but as soon as I enter DB info – I get the 403 at step 2.

Note: it’s a subdomain installation. Not sure if that affects anything? I’ve done tonnes before with no issues so I can’t see why it would now.

The page I need help with: [log in to see the link]

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Did you check your log files for any error messages?

Yeah just did and it’s spitting this out: 2017-10-31 11:15:40.072 [ERROR] [HTAccess] Failed to open [/home/cdm182/singalong.championmedia.com.au/wp-admin/.htaccess]: Permission denied

Does that mean I have to manually insert a .htaccess?

Thanks for the help!

There is no need for a .htaccess file in the wp-admin directory.

From where did you download the WordPress core files?

My recommendation is to remove all the files, download the core files from the official website and try to run the installer again.

You should also make sure that the permissions are OK in your WordPress directory.

Moderator t-p

(@t-p)

Do you have an .htaccess file in /wp-admin/ folder like so: /wp-admin/.htaccess

If you see it try disabling it.

Thanks @rosehosting. I definitely downloaded the core files from the official site and as far as I can tell all permissions are how they should be. 744 or 755 for all folders and 644 for all files. But I’ll confess, I’ve got no experience with this so is there something else I should be looking for?

@t-p – no .htaccess anywhere – the site hadn’t even been installed yet! I thought .htaccess was only created once permalinks were set?

Thanks guys

Please double check the /wp-admin/ directory. There shouldn’t be any .htaccess file.

You can also try to create the wp-config.php file manually.

Go to the /home/cdm182/singalong.championmedia.com.au/ directory and copy/move the wp-config-sample.php file to wp-config.php

Open the wp-config.php file and edit the following lines:

define(‘DB_NAME’, ‘database_name_here’);
    define(‘DB_USER’, ‘username_here’);
    define(‘DB_PASSWORD’, ‘password_here’);

with your database name, database username and password.

Save the file, and try to access singalong.championmedia.com.au again and see if you can finish the WordPress installation.

Thanks @rosehosting that worked. Very handy to know you can simply bypass the 403 at this point by editing the wp-config. You’re a legend!

Cheers,

Josh

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.