Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Plugin Author Wordfence Security

(@mmaunder)

Hi,

Can you tell me how you know you had 4000 attempts?

Regards,

Mark.

Thread Starter maryannk

(@maryannkelley)

My dedicated server showed excessive usage (all of my email went down for 11 hours and we are trying to figure out why – it led to the mail queue which was filled with a bunch of excess usage notices from root) — the host tech support searched the logs and told me about the 4K attempted logins. Do you want me to request a copy of the log entries?

Wordfence is working great on another active website that I run (logging blocked attempts every minute or two), so I was really surprised when I saw that it hadn’t logged anything for 7 days on this domain.

We have had nearly 4,000 attempts to login from 4 IP addresses on one client site in the last few days.

We know because every 5 minutes we are getting 4 or 5 more support tickets generated to our support@ email address.

Regards,
    Keith

Plugin Author Wordfence Security

(@mmaunder)

Do you have the Wordfence firewall enabled Mary? Are you sure its the same site? Wordfence should have caught this.

Regards,

Mark.

We are now approaching 5,000 attempts. This is the only site on which this is happening. We have dozens of other sites using WordFence. Our Firewalls are working well.

Regards,
    Keith

5,628 support tickets generated by WordFence on one site from a total of a dozen IP addresses.

We set the deny login time to 60 days yesterday.

This can’t be correct.

Regards,
    Keith

Now up to 6,352 emails from WordFence at one site, all sent to our support@ email address reporting [Wordfence Alert] <SampleNameHere>.org User locked out from signing in

Regards,
    Keith

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘4000 login attempts and Wordfence isn't catching them’ is closed to new replies.