Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Arne

(@arnee)

Thanks for opening a bug ticket. Please provide more information there!

https://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2182

raphaelsuzuki

(@raphaelsuzuki)

I’m also having problems with it, my setup consists of Nginx (1.2.1) and PHP (5.4.6 with FPM). I guess it has something to do with rewrites, since there isn’t any proper files anymore.

Arne

(@arnee)

Hi,

Please try to install the new 4.0.1, maybe it works already then:

http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/google-sitemap-generator.zip

If not:

I’ve never used nginx before, but I quickly installed it and tried if it works. There are numerous installation guides for WP & Permalinks for nginx, I just tried two:

That worked for all permalinks, including the sitemaps:

location / {
    	 try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php?$args;
    }

If the rules are somehow added more specific, that worked:

location / {

rewrite ^/sitemap(-+([a-zA-Z0-9_-]+))?\.xml$ "/index.php?xml_sitemap=params=$2" last;
    	rewrite ^/sitemap(-+([a-zA-Z0-9_-]+))?\.xml\.gz$ "/index.php?xml_sitemap=params=$2;zip=true" last;
    	rewrite ^/sitemap(-+([a-zA-Z0-9_-]+))?\.html$ "/index.php?xml_sitemap=params=$2;html=true" last;
    	rewrite ^/sitemap(-+([a-zA-Z0-9_-]+))?\.html.gz$ "/index.php?xml_sitemap=params=$2;html=true;zip=true" last;
    	}

ahee

(@ahee)

not worked

Please complete explanation

Arne

(@arnee)

ahee, are you also using nginx?

Gwyneth Llewelyn

(@gwynethllewelyn)

Ok… tricky, tricky, but I seem to report some success!

In my case, I use ISPConfig on top of my server (because it makes everything to more convenient to manage), which means that I have to do things slightly differently. I cannot have two location / { } blocks.

But it works for me having the rewrite rules outside the location block, e.g.

location / {
    	 try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php?$args;
    }
    	rewrite ^/sitemap(-+([a-zA-Z0-9_-]+))?\.xml$ "/index.php?xml_sitemap=params=$2" last;
    	rewrite ^/sitemap(-+([a-zA-Z0-9_-]+))?\.xml\.gz$ "/index.php?xml_sitemap=params=$2;zip=true" last;
    	rewrite ^/sitemap(-+([a-zA-Z0-9_-]+))?\.html$ "/index.php?xml_sitemap=params=$2;html=true" last;
    	rewrite ^/sitemap(-+([a-zA-Z0-9_-]+))?\.html.gz$ "/index.php?xml_sitemap=params=$2;html=true;zip=true" last;

For the sake of completeness, in my case, due to the needs of other plugins, my own configuration is slightly different:

location / {
                    try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php?$is_args$args /index.php?q=$uri&$args;
            }

# other rewrite rules below this line...

Most of you might not need such a complex try_files statement.

Arne

(@arnee)

So it is working? Is it different if you just put it into the first location block? Thanks!!

Arne

(@arnee)

I just tried only

location /testblog/ {
              try_files $uri $uri/ /testblog/index.php?$args;
    }

without any specific sitemap rules and that also worked.

raphaelsuzuki

(@raphaelsuzuki)

Hi, Arnee.

I’m using the same default rules you posted, and with only them, it still doesn’t work.

However, using these rewrites rules you posted, outside of the ‘location / {}’ blocks, it works perfectly.

Thanks!

Gwyneth Llewelyn

(@gwynethllewelyn)

After a few tests it seems that the rewrite rules, in my case, really need to be outside the location / {} block — where actually all the remaining rewrite rules are (e.g. to get rid of the last slash when logging in to /wp-admin/ and so forth). However, I cannot claim that this is ‘universal’.

The good news is that it’s working. I still have to fix those rules to do the same thing for robots.txt, and then I’m done! Or, rather, then I have to fix this on dozens of sites… some of them multi-site installs, which have a slightly different configuration…

The bad news is that this shouldn’t be necessary! The whole point of WordPress’ new rewrite engine is that it shouldn’t require any other rules…

Gwyneth Llewelyn

(@gwynethllewelyn)

For robots.txt add this rewrite rule:

rewrite ^/robots\.txt$ "/index.php?robots=1" last;

This did the trick to me.

Arne

(@arnee)

jepp, at the moment I can’t really say why it is not working with the WP rewrite system by default…

I only can say that with the following rule, everything seemed to work during my tests:

location /testblog/ {
              try_files $uri $uri/ /testblog/index.php?$args;
    }

That is also the line from the WordPress example of the Nginx Documentation about try_files.

ahee

(@ahee)

not work . i tired

I deleted the new version . installed the old version

Who is ready for the new version?

Gwyneth Llewelyn

(@gwynethllewelyn)

BTW, just as an explanation, my slightly-more-complicated try_files rule is needed for some of the oddest plugins to work. The Nginx documentation for WordPress definitely recommends the simpler line — which ought to work for most well-written plugins.

Of course, a few plugins are not so nice… 🙂

As for the “need” for the rewrite rules, as said, in theory, WordPress’ own rewriting engine should handle all rewriting without the need for some extra help from nginx’s configuration — that was the whole point for actually building a new rewriting engine from scratch and packing it with WordPress, namely, the ability to do URL prettification, no matter what webserver runs beneath WP. I have no idea why it fails with this sitemap plugin. I have certainly several dozens of rules on WP’s rewriting engine, coming from other plugins, which work flawlessly without the need for some “extra help” from nginx’s configuration.

The only difference I see is that somehow sitemaps and robots.txt are “special” static files, but why that should be different from a regular site post/page/other type of content totally baffles me. It simply doesn’t sound logical to me. And clearly it doesn’t affect everybody.

I will need to try out with some sites with fewer plugins; it’s possible that there is something interfering with this…

Gwyneth Llewelyn

(@gwynethllewelyn)

BTW do not forget to reload nginx after changing the rewrite rules 🙂

I forgot to do that today for a dozen sites I’ve upgraded to 4.0.2 and panicked as nothing worked any more… lol

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘4.0 is broken in FPM/FastCGI servers’ is closed to new replies.