Support » Fixing WordPress » 4.9.6 not updating automatically

• Ger

(@lindt01)

Hi,

On none of my 30+ sites the 4.9.6 release updates automatic. All sites are on 4.9.5 Former minor releases (except 4.9.3 which had a bug) did update automatic.

Can someone assist me? Is the 4.9.3 bug back?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Moderator Steve Stern

(@sterndata)

Support Volunteer

Automatic updates haven’t been turned on yet. The core team is watching the results of over 1 million manual ones and will turn on the automatic updates in the very near future, assuming nothing bad is detected.

nlpro

(@nlpro)

@sterndata

Thank you for informing the community, but joannacraig is right …

That info should have been communicated on the 4.9.6 release post.

The 4.9.6 release post currently states:

Sites that support automatic background updates are already beginning to update automatically.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  nlpro.
    Ger

(@lindt01)

@sterndata,

Thanks for your reply Steve. Can you give an estimate of ‘the very near future’?

Moderator Steve Stern

(@sterndata)

Support Volunteer

sorry, no. If you want it immediately, update manually.

joannacraig

(@joannacraig)

@sterndata – but just to confirm, it will auto-update soon. Yes?

Moderator Steve Stern

(@sterndata)

Support Volunteer

Per what’s in the core channel on Slack, there will be some sort of decision made, probably today, on the next steps

lovingboth

(@lovingboth)

Still not seeing it happening here.

Is delaying automatic updates a new thing or has this always happened since they were finally introduced and I’ve not noticed?

Moderator Steve Stern

(@sterndata)

Support Volunteer

If you want to follow the discussion, lurk in the core channel on slack.https://make.wordpress.org/chat/

Moderator Marius L. J.

(@clorith)

Automatic updates should now be rolling out, depending on timings users should be receiving these within the next ~12 hours give or take.

It’s not a new thing, when a new version is released we generally wait a little bit before turning them on, but it’s usually around an hour.
    This release is a bit different, as we’ve not added features to a release in this way before. Because of this we chose to err on the side of caution when noticing a potential issue with some plugins, and chose to postpone the automated updates until we felt confident it would not cause issues for large groups of users.

Ger

(@lindt01)

@clorith,

Thanks a lot for your thorough explanation. I fully understand the reasons why you postponed the automatic updates. My sites are auto updating now!

Thanks again!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.