• Resolved leejosepho

(@leejosepho)

Following the WordPress 4.8 update, I have lost my Accordion Widgets and Sticky Sidebar (and some other display problems have also appeared) in my Twenty Twelve Child Theme. I have tried disabling all plugins and I have tried switching to Twenty Twelve with no success in solving the problem. You can see the difference by comparing the Sidebar, Widgets and “Sticky” (in relation to page scroll) at these two sites:
    https://www.nonameyet.org/’ (broken Twenty Twelve in 4.8)
    https://www.nonametestdrive.net/’ (same features working perfectly in a different theme in 4.8)

Any ideas? Many thanks!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Andrew Nevins

(@anevins)

WCLDN 2018 Contributor | Volunteer support

Where does the accordion and sticky sidebar functionality come from?

Thread Starter leejosepho

(@leejosepho)

The accordion and sticky sidebar functionality come from here:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/standard-widget-extensions/

Andrew Nevins

(@anevins)

For some reason 3 scripts from that plugin aren’t loading on your site, though the cookie script is loading fine. Could you triple-check that the plugin’s options have been filled out correctly?

(@leejosepho)

The plugin’s settings are definitely fine, and there are other scripts not loading or whatever also. You can see the [visitor-maps] shortcode in the bottom-left footer widget where the map should actually be, and my Admin Bar displays only at the back of the site.

Andrew Nevins

(@anevins)

@leejosepho, What files are in your Child Theme folder? Does the issue persist when switching to the original Twenty Twelve theme (and not Child Theme)?

I checked the plugin’s files as to the difference between the cookie script (that is loading) and the main JS file that isn’t, and found that the main script is loaded in the footer whereas the cookie is not:

wp_enqueue_script( 'jquery-cookie', plugins_url( '/js/jquery.cookie.js', __FILE__ ), array( 'jquery' ) );
    wp_enqueue_script( 'standard-widget-extensions', plugins_url( '/js/standard-widget-extensions' . ($this->get_hm_swe_option('readable_js') == 'enabled' ? '.js' : '.min.js'), __FILE__ ), array(), false, true );

So I’m thinking your Child Theme folder contains a footer.php file where the ‘wp_footer’ function has been removed.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Andrew Nevins.
    Andrew Nevins

(@anevins)

This could also explain why your mobile menu isn’t working – as the theme’s navigation.js file also depends on the footer but isn’t loaded on your website.

(@leejosepho)

Many thanks for your time and effort, and here is my Child Theme’s footer.php:

<?php
    /** Our template for displaying the footer
    * @package WordPress
    * @subpackage Twenty_Twelve
    * @since Twenty Twelve 1.0
    */
    ?>
    </div><!-- #main .wrapper -->
    <div id="footerwidgets">
    	<?php if (is_active_sidebar('left-footer')):?>
    	<div id="footer-left"><?php dynamic_sidebar('left-footer');?>
    	</div><?php endif;?>
    	<?php if (is_active_sidebar('center-footer')):?>
    	<div id="footer-middle"><?php dynamic_sidebar('center-footer');?>
    	</div><?php endif;?>
    	<?php if (is_active_sidebar('right-footer')):?>
    	<div id="footer-right"><?php dynamic_sidebar('right-footer');?>
    	</div><?php endif;?>
    </div>
    <footer id="colophon" role="contentinfo">
    	<?php get_template_part('links','footer');?>
    </footer>
    </div><!-- #page -->
    <?php wp_footer();?>
    </body>
    </html>

At the moment my brain is too tired for comparing that to the original, but maybe something might jump out at you…

…and yes, the issue persists even with the current Twenty Twelve theme activated.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by leejosepho.
    Andrew Nevins

(@anevins)

At the moment my brain is too tired for comparing that to the original,

Mine is always, so I use robot to do it for me: https://www.diffchecker.com/

Just for debugging, could you keep the original theme active for a little while?

Andrew Nevins

(@anevins)

I don’t understand how the issue can persist on the parent theme, I just need to see the theme active for my own eyes and sanity.

(@leejosepho)

Oops, I was wrong about the problem persisting with the default Twenty Twelve active. I am certain that was the case when I tried the switch locally in Xampp a few days ago, but I just tried Twenty Twelve at the live site for a couple of minutes and the Sidebar and its accordion widgets were just fine. So, the problem is with my Child Theme and I am assuming it began at the 4.8 update since I am at the site daily and had not noticed anything wrong before then.

I will mark this thread as “Resolved” since 4.8 no longer appears to have broken Twenty Twelve, and I would greatly welcome any suggestions you might have about how I might try to figure out what is actually wrong.

Many thanks!

PS: I use Notepad++ to compare files.

(@leejosepho)

Also, I did not see what I was expecting for the usual Twenty Twelve footer widgets at the Dashboard so I could check Visitor Maps, but maybe those were the “Front Page Widget Areas” and I have just forgotten what Twenty Twelve calls them. In any case, I did not leave Twenty Twelve active because its overall appearance is not even close to that of my Child Theme.

Andrew Nevins

(@anevins)

What happened was your theme was upgraded from version 1.0 to 2.3 – so those are massive updates. The footer.php file for example is almost entirely different in 1.0 than 2.3:
    https://www.diffchecker.com/Wb3zR4vv

(@leejosepho)

I just now compared my own footer.php with Twenty Twelve’s and I do not see any significant difference. Also, my Twenty Twelve was 2.2 as of just a few months ago, so I have never had any huge jump from 1.0 to 2.3 anywhere.

Andrew Nevins

(@anevins)

Weird, when I checked the parent theme style.css file an hour ago it said 1.0.

(@leejosepho)

I just now checked with FileZilla. My Child Theme style.css shows 1.3.2.2 (my own numbering) and Twenty Twelve’s is 2.3. Overall, however, I do not use Twenty Twelve’s style.css at all and I had been planning to update my own style.css by doing a side-by-side comparison with 2.3. So, maybe the trouble is somewhere in there.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘4.8 appears to have broken Twenty Twelve’ is closed to new replies.