• Resolved acurran

(@acurran)

I manage websites for my clients and have automatic update set for BackWPup on lots of sites. I got some ‘Your Site is Experiencing a Technical Issue’ emails a few days relating to a few websites. I discovered that the issue was BackWPUp 4.0.0 crashed the sites. One serious mistake like this I can forgive. But then this morning I got alerted by one of my clients that their website is down (showing critical error). I suspected BackWPup immediately and removing the plugin folder fixed it. I also see I have more ‘Your Site is Experiencing a Technical Issue’ emails in my inbox – no doubt it is BackWPup. Now I have to go through and check dozens of sites. I cannot forgive this happening a second time. Time to move away from BackWPUp to UpdraftPlus.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Same error here too (auto updated site). Re-installing the 4.0 release fixes it, but yeah, the same site killing error twice in a week..?!

Hi,

Am I correct in assuming that the website error issue has been repaired in the 4.0 release of this plugin?

I thought they would issue and 4.01 release so that users could easily see that the plugin was updated. Very confusing!

Don’t make the same dumb mistake as I did, assuming that I could delete my (fatal-erroring) 4.0 install and just reinstall it from the Plugins repo. Deleting it through WP admin seems to delete the jobs I’d created, so I had to recreate them from scratch. UGH.

Am I correct in assuming that the website error issue has been repaired in the 4.0 release of this plugin?

Yes. They reverted back to the previous version (otherwise the broken version would have rolled out to even more sites). But yes, going to 4.0.1 now would have been less confusing.

Deleting it through WP admin seems to delete the jobs I’d created

There’s a setting for this (under Settings/General = ‘Keep BackWPup data stored in the database after uninstall’ – I think it’s ‘off’ by default though).

Thanks for answering my question on this issue. Great advice on using the plugin settings to save configuration and data used . . .

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by kpbryce132.

Advice for developers going forward: When you make a corrective version, change the version number. Now there is both a broken version and a non-working version 4.0.0, and the maintenance software is unable to identify which one is the “correct” one. Now the situation is such that oa’s managed sites use this broken version, and remote updating is not possible, because according to them, the latest version 4.0.0 is already in use. I have to manually go through these sites one by one, remove the add-on, and reinstall.

Plugin Support BWU support

(@duongcuong96)

hi everyone,
    Thank you for all the suggestions and comments, I have collected all of them and already given feedback to developers.
    This kind of issue like this will not happen again.
    Thank you for your understanding and have a great day!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘4.0.0 crashed multiple sites again!!’ is closed to new replies.