• Resolved anthonyjkenn

(@anthonyjkenn)

I just recently updated to the latest WP 3.9 for my two Multisite networks (RGCNetwork and AJK-Multisite). Now it looks like all my previous posts and comments and pages are all disappeared; all I get is the “Hello, world!!” post.

I did a check of my databases, and found that they all had been erased, which means that the latest update has somehow delete all of my previous posts. This shouldn’t happen at all, I believe. Is there anything I can do to recover my posts and comments?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Thread Starter anthonyjkenn

(@anthonyjkenn)

Update: I was able to find an old database/WXR file from Febuary 2013, and recover all of my posts from then….but that still does not resolve the issue of why this latest 3.9 update erased my database. Again, that should not happen, and I’m hoping that this can be resolved so that I can recover my lost posts and pages and database.

Thread Starter anthonyjkenn

(@anthonyjkenn)

The WP 3.9 upgrade definitely doesn’t erase the database (it wouldn’t have been released if it did). It’s hard to explain exactly what caused this situation with the information provided.

Having said that, bad things do happen on a tiny amount of seemingly random upgrades. The WordPress warnings/messages about talking a backup of the database before upgrading exist for this purpose.

Moderator Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)

(@ipstenu)

πŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆ Advisor and Activist

To take it a step further, the update actually doesn’t have the ability to delete the DB. There’s nothing coded in WP to drop all the tables or reinstall.

How did you upgrade? This update was not automatic, so you had to do it manually by clicking the link unless you’re using a plugin…

Also what plugins do you have? Were they deleted?

Did you look at the DB itself and see if there’s a different wp_ prefix?

Was your wp-config rewritten?

(@anthonyjkenn)

I upgraded manually through the Upgrade function at my main admin page, and then the individual blogs through “Update Network”.

All of my plugins seem to have gotten through unscathed…though I will double check.

(@anthonyjkenn)

OK…I’m beginning to see things a bit clearer. The databases are intact, but it seem like whenever I attempt to get to any of my blogs within my network, I get redirected to the home page or the admin page of the first blog listed in my network, as well as a “Page not found” notice. That happens whatever blog page I attempt to access.

(@anthonyjkenn)

Here is a cache of one of my network blogs as it is supposed to appear:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fcache.nevkontakte.com%2Fproxy.html#!go/http%3A%2F%2Fredgarterclub.com%2FRGClubNetwork%2Frgclub3dot2%2F

And this is the page I am getting now when I attempt to access any of my network blogs:

http://redgarterclub.com/RGClubNetwork/rgclub3dot2/

This is the original blank home network blog I used to prime my blog network; it isn’t supposed to contain any posts. My main blog should be Red Garter Club 3.2, and it had posts up until April 7th.

In addition…I went into my WP file manager, and found that the network blog listing had been modified so that the first blog folder showing was marked as “10” rather than “1”. Is that supposed to be the correct order? I changed the “10” to a “1” and resaved the folder name; that didn’t change anything. Would that have anything to do with what happened?

I could simply use my cached version to rewrite my posts, but that would be time consuming, and I’d really would like my blog network fixed first. Any help would be greatly appreciated…thanks.

(@anthonyjkenn)

New update…and some good news.

I was finally able to access the full databases via phpmyadmin, and they are all intact. However, it looks like the prefixes for the database tables might have been altered a bit, because I’m seeing some tables prefixed with “wp_” and others prefixed with “wp_10_”. Also, I noted that in my internal files of my “RGClubNetwork” folder under the “blogs.dir” directory, the initial subfolder listing actually had “10” rather than “1” as the first subfolder listed. Also, the “blogs.dir” directory for my “AJK-Multisite” directory has the subfolders for the network blogs listed starting with “2” rather than “1”.

Hopefully, that helps resolve this issue. Or, so I hope.

David

(@dlabbe)

I am having similar issues on my local testing system. I just updated to 3.9 and all my sites are now the main (first) site on the network.

If I go to a subsite admin page the url will say that I am on my subsite but I am actually on the admin for the main site of the network. The admin bar will also show that the current site is the main network site, but the url says I should be on the subsite.

I created a new testing environment with multi site and the same thing happens. If I create a new subsite it will alway direct me to the main site, but the urls will show the subsite address. (front end and backend/admin).

David

(@dlabbe)

I forgot to mention that my database prefixes have not been changed in anyway so I am assuming there is a redirect issue happening somewhere.

Moderator Samuel Wood (Otto)

(@otto42)

WordPress.org Admin

However, it looks like the prefixes for the database tables might have been altered a bit, because I’m seeing some tables prefixed with “wp_” and others prefixed with “wp_10_”.

That’s not altered, that’s normal for a multisite setup. Each site has its own set of tables, and they are numbered. The main wp_ prefixed tables are for the root site.

(@anthonyjkenn)

David got it exactly correct….that’s what I’ve been experiencing. Everything (front end and admin) goes to the “root” blog of the network, even though the URL of the site is the sought after subblog in the network.

So, this looks more like an issue of the latest WP 3.9 update more than anything else.

David

(@dlabbe)

I did another test, but this time it was on my live testing environment vs my local as explained above.
    After doing the update on the live multisite, things seem to be just fine and work as it should. I have 2 local multi sites that are broken after the update.

Not sure where the issue lies at this point.

(@anthonyjkenn)

Another thing I’ve noticed: I downloaded a copy of the existing database file associated with my Red Garter Club network, “ajk6319_wrdp2.sql”, and then unzipped it, and found that only the tables prefixed with “wp_10_” were written in. None of the other tables for the other blogs were transfered over. More than likely, they weren’t transfered in the process of the update. All of the tables, though, are still accessible via phpmyadmin.

David

(@dlabbe)

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘3.9 update install breaks if network path has uppercase letters’ is closed to new replies.