Support » Fixing WordPress » 3.6 – new type of torture?

• Resolved inventorgeorge

(@inventorgeorge)

When I upgraded to 3.6 4 days ago, I found that I cannot make any changes to any of the pages.I get an error message on every page saying not to connect it however I am connected because I can make other types of changes or modifications to my WP installation.

I had another post which curiously I cannot find now and at least four other people commented they were having exactly the same problem. I thought I got lucky this morning it turned out that I made a backup of my WP installation of couple days before upgrading to version 3.6. I downloaded as a copy of the entire WP folder, then erased it on the server, Then uploaded my pre-3.6 version. I thought I could pick up for everything had been running. WRONG! Now when I try to go to WP – admin Now I get a page that says I must upgrade.I can’t get into my dashboard. Then I tried just going to admin, and that also takes me to an upgrade page.

I doubt the WP is deliberately trying to drive me crazy but how do I get past this nonsense? I’ve tried reinstalling 3.6, no go. I’ve tried doing everything that was suggested me in my previous post nothing works. I would be very happy just to get back to my 3.5 version that was completely working and then I made the mistake of believing that upgrading to 3.6 would only be for the better. Boy am I was I wrong!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • I feel you on this buddy!! I want my nicely done 3.5 back…. 3.6 is GARBAGE AND TERRORIZES YOUR WEBSITE!

No really… no logo on my website is gone (says theme name instead of logo name) … I also see the whole dashboard in HUGE bold font which is very weird…. I have a few blog posts that won’t open now too… this is incredibly awful…

I’m sorry to hear you’re having trouble as well let’s figure this out or upgrade better !!!!

Thread Starter inventorgeorge

(@inventorgeorge)

Hi Crazy:
    I agree – 3.6 is garbage. Any yet others are saying it is not the root of the trouble. All I know is that everything was fine before the upgrade, now I am shut down completely. This is maddening!
    To top it off, as I said, I went back to my 3.5.x version [ completely working before], and not trying to log in as admin gets me this ##5^$&^*( page that says I must upgrade.
    On my other post, 23 people made comments – either trying to help or complaining that they have the same problem. this is not just me, or you, there are a number of people out there with the problem.
    Let me ask this, I am using the plugin S2member; are you? I wonder if that could be a common thread? If we can find the common thread, we can get to the bottom of this.
    If not, my site will be shut down until I can get the WP portion redone in some other system; that could take weeks, and I can’t be down that long without major damage done.

What do you mean by upgrade better? upgrade to what? I am ready to jump ship on WP in an instant if I can get something else up and running quickly.

(@inventorgeorge)

This is really curious. The other post, with 23 comments, has been taken down. Why? Does someone not want the problems with 3.6 to be known?
    I am not a conspiracy theorist, but why would an active thread disappear?

(@inventorgeorge)

Thank you. Couldn’t find it.

From your other thread, it sounds like you have a JavaScript error interfering with the “Heartbeat” autosave JavaScript that is new in 3.6. The other thread says that you have a theme installed, but won’t update it. That theme is probably causing the JavaScript error since 3.6 shipped with jQuery 1.10 which some theme’s JavaScript is incomatible with (especially if the theme is outdated).

Please try switching your theme to a Default Theme (with plugins deactivated) to see if this is a WordPress Core bug or not.

For the record, it doesn’t seem like “WordPress is garbage,” it sounds like user error. Themes installed from the Theme repository are 3rd party software. If you are not technical enough to operate the software, please hire someone who is. If you’d like to try and resolve the problem yourself, please be polite and respectful when asking strangers for free help.

(@inventorgeorge)

Hello WraithKenny:
    I believe I am being respectful of the post contributors, I very much appreciate their inputs – it is the WP developers that I am unpleased with.
    It is common good practice when coming out with a new version of software that it be backwards compatible with previous versions – unless it is clearly announced that this is a new departure and will not be backwards compatible. I believe that the WP team broke that practice. It is unfair to unleash a new version only to cause agony to who knows how many people – without warning everyone?

Let’s say this is not a core bug [unknown for sure at this time, but since some people presumably are not having the problems, then this is one possible scenario], then there must have been some protocol change that causes conflict either with themes, or with plugins. If this is the case, does that mean all now-offending themes/plugins will have to be re-written? That is not a reasonable situation, many authors will not want to do that, and people will lose functionality of their WP

If it is a core problem, then bugs do happen, and I presume someone is working on that. But I see no indication that the WP team is aware of this, or doing anything to fix it. If it is a protocol change of some sort, then it is hard to maintain respect for people who violate a trust.

Am I wrong???

(@inventorgeorge)

Oh, WraithKenny, with no clue as to the actual cause of not only my problem, but others experiencing the same issue, why would you jump to the conclusion that it is “user error?” Is it impossible for the WP team to have screwed up?

When the Boeing 787s had their first fires, did you immediately claim “pilot error?” Or when a bridge collapses, is that “driver error?”

I am offended that upgrading [automatically, not manually] to 3.6 is automatically “user error.”

(@inventorgeorge)

To add to the madness;
    I put back a 3.5x version I had downloaded a few days before the upgrade fiasco. I saved the entire folder that WP resided in. I have now removed the whole of 3.6, and reloaded the 3.5 folder.
    Now, I try to go to mysite/wpfolder, and I get “file not found” Not only can I not get the welcome page, I can’t get page. I do get the theme header, so something from WP is showing, but not any of my pages.
    There is an “index.php” file, so I tried going to
    mysite/wpfolder/index.php, and it jumps back to mysite/wpfolder and file not found.
    This is 3.5 which worked perfectly well before.
    Can anyone shed some light on this? I don’t have much hair left, and I am pulling out what’s left.

(@inventorgeorge)

I should have mentioned on my last post, I can log in [as I could before], and I can modify pages and save them. Everything seems to work as it did “before” [I will start referring to this as “B3.6” – before version 3.6]

The only thing that I cannot do now is get to the pages on the net as a user. They are on the server, but not visible to the net.

When WordPress upgrades, it also changes the database version under the options table in the database. You may need to reset this to a 3.5 compatible level.

(@inventorgeorge)

Thank you. I got a warning about that, and allowed it to update the DB.
    I am assuming that it set the DB version correctly. I am not familiar with manipulating the DBs.

It should update things correctly but, as you’re experiencing, sometimes things don’t work out as expected. Okay so you’ve re-installed WP 3.5?

And the only thing that isn’t working is that pages can’t be accessed?

Okay try this: go to your settings, select Permalinks, click on an option and hit save. This should force WordPress to rebuild the .htaccess file (on an Apache server). The .htaccess file is kind of like a road map that WordPress supplies Apache with that says, “hey, if someone asks for *this* page, send them through this route.” Hopefully that should fix your missing pages issue.

I saved the entire folder that WP resided in.

Then you did only half of a backup if you did not also backup the database, as the db is where all your posts, pages, settings, etc. are stored in and retrieved from.

Attempting to reload only the 3.5.x files without deleting the current db, creating a new one and importing the exported 3.5.x one will only generate troubles.

As for theme and plugin developers keeping up with core updates, all the ones on the 24 sites that updated had their updates ready to go too 🙂 Not an issues on any of these sites.

If you want to get the site back, please try what WrathKenny posted, but it will now be a bit more complicated given your partial restore attempts:

– your db should still be at 3.6 so that’s good
    – upload a complete new 3.6 install then replace the complete wp-content folder with the one from your “partial backup”
    – within the wp-content folder, rename the plugins folder to plugins-old; this will deactivate all plugins
    – within the wp-content/themes folder, rename the folder of the theme that was active to theme_name-old; this will force WP to use the default theme twentythirteen (assuming it is still there and you hadn’t deleted it)

Now you can start to troubleshoot to see what was causing the issue; start with the theme:
    – remove the -old from the folder then activate it
    – if things work, then it’s not the theme and you can then start activating the plugins one by one, testing after each, once you remove the -old from the plugin folder name

When you do find the culprit, then check on that products page to see if there is an update for it and/or if it is marked as compatible with 3.6; if not, find an alternative.

(@inventorgeorge)

Problem found! First, what I did.

HI Bem:
    I did what you said. First, I clicked on one of the common settings, and clicked save. On suggestion from someone else, I moved the htaccess file to my root folder [mysite.com], where the WP is installed in mysite.com/WP. When I hit save, it did something to the htaccess file, but I still cannot get any pages.

Not being sure what you meant by “option”, I then tried adding something to the category base line, then saves. I also copied the htaccess file into the WP folder. That did not update either of the ht files, and I still cannot get any pages.

I am lost at this point. I thought I was being abundantly safe by downloading the entire WP folder [about 40 megs worth] before doing the update. I thought I could then just reverse the process.

Again, everything works inside WP, I don’t see anything that appears different, and I can do whatever I want. It’s just that I can’t get pages, even if I address them directly – mysite.com/WP/index.php

The above didn’t fix it, so I first disabled all plugins. Didn’t help
    I might mention that S2member is one of the plugins that was active.

Then I updated the Theme I was using – Alexandria. Didn’t help.

Then, finally, I changed themes to 2012. Ah Ha! The pages now appear as they should. The problem is that Alexandria works with 3.5, not 3.6, and not with 3.5 if it is reloaded on the server. Does that make any sense????

So now I have to select a new theme, and start from scratch because I lost all setting relating to the theme. But at least, after 6 days of pulling my hair out, I can move forward.

Other had suggested that I deactivate plugins, and change themes, but I only dropped the plugins. I didn’t see how the theme could block access to pages.

But Bem, your suggestion,after that didn’t work, made me desperate enough that I was willing to try the unreasonable – change themes.

Thank you Bem, and all.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘3.6 – new type of torture?’ is closed to new replies.