WordPress.org

Forums

3.2.1 update dashboard problem (19 posts)

1. TriciaB
    Posted 3 years ago #

I'm not sure why, but I started an update of WordPress and I got an error message (which I now can't see) and then the Dashboard totally disappeared. The website is still there but I can't update it if I don't have a dashboard. The site is here: Armitage Family.

Any help welcome. Thanks

2. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 3 years ago #

Try:
    - switching to the Twenty Eleven theme by renaming your current theme's folder in wp-content/themes using FTP or whatever file management application your host provides.

- resetting the plugins folder by FTP or phpMyAdmin.

- re-uploading all files & folders - except the wp-content folder - from a fresh download of WordPress.

- re-running the upgrade manually using /wp-admin/upgrade.php.

3. TriciaB
    Posted 3 years ago #

Hmmm ... seems to have made things worse. I now can't see the website either. But apparently my version of WordPress is up to date - at least that's the message I get when I tried your last suggestion. I had tried all the others and, after trying the first one, the website disappeared too. Previously it had been there.

Any other thoughts? I'm getting pretty worried now.

Thanks.

4. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 3 years ago #

Did you get any messages when you re-ran the upgrade?

5. TriciaB
    Posted 3 years ago #

Yes, it asked me to update the database - which I did. I assumed that was because I had reloaded WP. Then the screen went blank again - so no dashboard and no website

6. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 3 years ago #

OK - sounds like there's a problem with your database. Did you deactivate all plugins and switch to the default theme before beginning the upgrade? Did you make a database backup?

7. TriciaB
    Posted 3 years ago #

Hi Esmi, I didn't know I had to deactivate plugins and switch to the default theme, but I did back up my files via FTP and the database in MyPHP.

8. TriciaB
    Posted 3 years ago #

I've just asked my host if they can restore a backup from before the disaster and they're going to try to restore the site. If they can't, I guess I can do it but I'm not sure how to.

9. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 3 years ago #

What version of WordPress were you using before you upgraded?

10. TriciaB
    Posted 3 years ago #

Not sure but it wasn't that old. I only started work on the site in June.

11. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 3 years ago #

If you hosts have a backup .sql file, you'll need to look in the output for the wp_options table and locate the db_version. That will enable us to work out what version of WordPress your were running when the backup was taken.

12. TriciaB
    Posted 3 years ago #

I'm waiting to hear from them - thanks for your help

13. TriciaB
    Posted 3 years ago #

Hi, I have all the backups from One.com - I actually think they're the same as the backups I made. What I don't know how to do is how to restore the database. I can replace all the WordPress files via FTP. I guess there must be a section on how to do it somewhere in WordPress help. I'll have a search to see what I can find.

14. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 3 years ago #

What I don't know how to do is how to restore the database.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Restoring_Your_Database_From_Backup

15. TriciaB
    Posted 3 years ago #

Yes just found it thank you. I have to go out but will do it later. Do you know if I should restore the database first then upload the WP files or the other way round?

16. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 3 years ago #

Doesn't really matter but the site doesn't have a chance of working properly until you've completed both.

17. TriciaB
    Posted 3 years ago #

Hooray, it's all back! I can't see which version of WordPress I'm now using but it's saying that an update failed and I should try again. Needless to say, I'm rather reluctant to do that!

18. TriciaB
    Posted 3 years ago #

Hi again
    I thought I'd have another go at the update and I deactivated all the plugins, and also switched to Twentyten before hitting automatic update and this is the message I received:

Error 503 Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable
    Guru Meditation:

XID: 539771177

Varnish cache server

I have no idea what that means. My site now has a maintenance message. I'm not sor worried as I know I can restore it but I'd really like to get to the bottom of what's going on.

Any thoughts you may have would be appreciated. Thanks

19. TriciaB
    Posted 3 years ago #

Hmm, seemed it was a problem with the server. I got in touch with One.com and they're working on how to fix it. Anyway, the site is now working and I have the latest version of WordPress. All good. Thanks for your input earlier - I appreciated it. x

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic